MSSQL 2000 and MSSQL2005

• Hi,

I have SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 installed on my computer.

When I run "SELECT @@VERSION" On SQL Server 2005's Management Studio, the result is "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - 8.00.194 (Intel X86) Aug 6 2000 00:57:48 Copyright (c) 1988-2000 Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition on Windows NT 5.1 (Build 2600: Service Pack 2) ".

What does that mean? is SQL2005 not installed completely?? how do i make use of SQL 2005

• Did you install the SQL 2005 database engine, or just the workstation tools?

If you have 2005 and SQL 2000 on one machine, then 2005 is most likely installed as a named instance. So you would connect to it like this

MyServer\InstanceName

instead of just

MyServer

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • hi Gail,

Thanks for the reply. I have only 2000 Database engine on my computer. How do I install 2005 database engine?.

My actual problem is, I am trying to restore a new database .bak file( which I got from a MSSQL2005), but I am getting the following error message

" TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

------------------------------

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Too many backup devices specified for backup or restore; only 64 are allowed.

RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3205)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=08.00.013494&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=34543205&LinkId=20454476

BUTTONS:

OK

"

I thought it is because of version incompatibility. is it right? else, What could be the reason for this error and what is the fix? Please reply

• You can't restore a 2005 database onto a 2000 server. There's no downgrade option.

To install the DB engine, you need to get hold of the full 2005 installation.

What did you use to install the 2005 workstation tools? What OS are you running?

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Following is my 2005 info

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio9.00.1399.00

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools2005.090.1399.00

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)2000.085.1117.00 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

Microsoft MSXML2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer7.0.5730.11

Microsoft .NET Framework2.0.50727.1433

Operating System5.1.2600

Operating System is XP professional.

• OK. it doesn't look like you have the DB engine installed, just the workstation tools. Do you know what edition you tried to install? (Enterprise, standard, workgroup, developer)?

Gail Shaw

• I think it is Standard edition... So what else should I need to install the engine?

• Standard edition will install on XP, so I don't know what's wrong.

Open the Services (under administrative tools) and see if you have any services with names like

SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)

Or

SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER$<Some name here> )

Gail Shaw

• NightCrawler,

Your "Select @@version" query states that you have SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition, or at least part of an install.

At this point, I think it best that you consider removing SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 from your XP machine, and start with a "clean slate", if at all possible. There may be a little effort to get things cleaned up on the XP machine, but you will save yourself potential headaches with a properly installed SQL Server 2005 system.

Uninstall SQL Server

SQL Server 7 or SQL Server 2000 (default or named instance):

http://www.databasedesign-resource.com/uninstall-sql-server.html

SQL Server 2005 Books Online (September 2007)

How to: Uninstall an Existing Instance of SQL Server 2005 (Setup)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412.aspx

--

When you are ready to reinstall SQL Server 2005:

SQL Server 2005 Books Online (September 2007)

How to: Install SQL Server 2005 (Setup)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143219.aspx

Once you have SQL Server 2005 installed, you will get to begin your actual work and you can restore your .BAK file.

--

If my recommendations won't work with your situation, explain what you need to do, and we can suggest some options for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Best Regards,

"Key"
    MCITP: DBA, MCSE, MCTS: SQL 2005, OCP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply