moving server locations with NO down time

• Ok, We are moving our server from one town to another we want to bring up temp servers to hold the db's there while the production servers stay here once we are happy with the temp servers we will make a DNS change to point to the new servers. We will then move the old servers here to the new location sync up the databases make a DNS change again back to the old servers. What I'm trying to do is figure out the best way to do this with zero down time. I was thinking of backing up the current databases full restoring them on the new server then just applying transaction log and diffrintal backups to the new server before it goes live. Second though was log shipping since both boxes are sql 2000 but I dont' have alot of experience with that. Any other ideas?

• Backup/restore is a good plan, log shipping more trouble than its worth for this change (and it essentially does the same thing anyway). The key is that you're going to have to coordinate the final switch closely - you'll need to block users, do a final log backup, restore to new server, let users into it.

One alternative might be to replicate to the new server, that way you can transition live and once there are no users on the old (publishing) server, shut it down.

Andy

• There is no way to do this with Zero downtime unless you can implement a WAN cluster between the sites. Otherwise, however long it takes to move the dbs is the downtime.

We have done this twice (getting ready for a third time) and I think backup restore is the best bet. You can minimize the time by

1. running a backup on live

2. let live continue to run.

3. copy backup to new server

4. restore on new server (these two steps are probably faster than direct restore).

5. be sure everything ok.

6. run log backup on live

7. copy log backup to new server

8. restore log backup

9. repoint dns.

If you have not downed the db (or set to read only) between 6 and 9, you need to manually "fix" data or it will be lost.

Keep in mind, DNS repoint time depends on your TTL.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I've got a 60 second dns rollover window to apply the last update to the temp servers. So, I guess NO down time is a misnomer but less than one minute for the roll over is what we are looking at. I tell you guys make me feel good about my skills. I don't have any friends or fellow employees that work with DB's at all. Every place I have ever worked I was the lone DBA for everything dev admin etc etc. I always sweated everything wondering if I was doing it the "right" way. I have read every friggin wrox/o'reilly/osborne/younameit book I could ever get my hands on about sql dba administration heck I've got no less than 15 diffrent dba admin books at work I keep on hand for "just in casers". Anyway what I'm getting at is so far every solution I've come up with you guys echo back at me. It is VERY nice to have other DBA's to bounce stuff off of and to talk to.

Thanks again,

Wes

• Glad we can help. Feel free to ask anything, anytime.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• quote:

I've got a 60 second dns rollover window to apply the last update to the temp servers. So, I guess NO down time is a misnomer but less than one minute for the roll over is what we are looking at. I tell you guys make me feel good about my skills. I don't have any friends or fellow employees that work with DB's at all. Every place I have ever worked I was the lone DBA for everything dev admin etc etc. I always sweated everything wondering if I was doing it the "right" way. I have read every friggin wrox/o'reilly/osborne/younameit book I could ever get my hands on about sql dba administration heck I've got no less than 15 diffrent dba admin books at work I keep on hand for "just in casers". Anyway what I'm getting at is so far every solution I've come up with you guys echo back at me. It is VERY nice to have other DBA's to bounce stuff off of and to talk to.

Thanks again,

Wes

I couldn't agree more Wes as I too am all alone in this cruel world of Database Administration and reading what other folks are doing and seeing the path they are taking is comforting.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Thanks again and tell your friends, DBAs and developers.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply