More SQL Server 2008 Installation Issues

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item More SQL Server 2008 Installation Issues

• "5. Unable to install SQL Server 2008 SP1

“The version of SQL Server instance Shared Component does not match the version expected by the SQL Server update. The installed SQL Server product version is 10.50.1447.4, and the expected SQL Server version is 10.0.1600.22.

The error message: There are no SQL Server Instances or Shared Features that can be updated on this computer”

If you’re getting this error, chances are you are trying to apply service pack (SP1) AND you are using a version of SQL Server that is below the RTM (release to manufacturing) level."

SQL Server product version 10.50.xxxx.x refers to SQL Server 2008 R2 which is a different product than SQL Server 2008. Microsoft hasn't released SP1 for SQL Server 2008 R2 yet to my knowledge although SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Customer Technology Preview is now available.

• Of course you are right 10.5xx is R2 (and SP1 for SQL 2K8 would obviously fail 🙂 - but that wasn't the point. Needs update. As per the connect item link it should read:

"The installed SQL Server product version is 10.0.1300.13, and the expected SQL Server version is 10.0.1600.22"

Thx for pointing it out.

• I hit two out of these five during an install yesterday. Wish this article had come out a day earlier, it would have saved me some time!

• I have had many install issues with Developer's Edition, SQL 2008 R2 on Windows Vista. Install will not create database engine for SQL, so no SQL databases can be accessed for the Reporting tools (SSRS,SSAS,SSIS). Also Management Studio does not install and attempt to open gives error "MMC failed to create snap-in". An MS rep told me this was a known issue with install onto Windows Vista and that a half hour phone call with an MS engineer would fix the problem. I spent 3 hours a night with an MS tech services rep from Bangalore for one week; finally gave up and installed on Windows XP, which works perfectly. When my laptop returns from repair I am going to try install on Windows 7 and I shudder with anticipation.

• Thanks for the info Robert.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I am having a real bad time trying to install SQL Server 2008 Express R2. It starts the install fine but when it gets to copying the files it reports the following error:

MsiGetProductInfo failed to retrieve ProductVersion for package with Product Code = '{C965F01C-76EA-4BD7-973E-46236AE312D7}'. Error code: 1605.

I googled this error and it told hoe to the fix the error by looking for the product code in the registry and then reversing the first 8 of the product code and deleting them also which I did. I rebooted and I am still get the same error...

Totally fustrating. Any advise?

Warm Regards,

Arthur Lorenzini
    Sioux Falls, SD

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply