More Private Clouds

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item More Private Clouds

• My take on the whole cloud computing thing is that if used correctly it could help eliminate layers of management, which in my opinion is one of the greatest contributors to overhead with the least return on investment and is often a large impediment to actually getting things done.  As decision-making and action-taking are moved further up the ladder, additional costs and delays are introduced and are moved further away from folks with the best understanding of the problems and issues.   A couple of points from the editorial:

"More often than not, companies that move away are still renting VMs or space from someone else who manages the core infrastructure (building, power, cooling, network, etc.)."

"Why was the cloud attractive? Often because someone didn't need to go through corporate procurement or red-tape to get a server stood up."

I'm sure you all know by now that my overall view is that more management is not good but better management is.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Elon Musk moved "X" back to on-prem with, reportedly, a substantial savings.

There are a ton of other companies that have or are considering moving back to on-prem.  Here's a decent search link...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=X+moved+back+to+on-prem

And does anyone remember the very large outages in several large areas of the world for things like Outlook and O365 because of mistakes made by MS?

If you're not actually a FAANG-sized company, is the cloud actually right for you?

The answer is, of course, "It Depends".  If you're not there yet (in the cloud), make sure you do a really good cost analysis.  If you're already in the cloud, you might want to do that same cost analysis, again.

Is the cloud a bad thing?  Is on-prem a bad thing?  Are either actually good things?

Again, "It Depends" and you've got to do the right analysis.  Just remember what "X" has recently done and why and to be sure you include such consideration no matter which direction you're thinking of moving.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

•  

Jeff, just reflecting, I've used on-premises processing and storage since the Apple II Plus was released in June 1979 and I can't remember losing anything I could not recover. My main cost is a box full of retired 2.5" and 3.5" hard disks, a NAS device, and a couple USB docking stations.  I have historic financial data from March, 1944 online and digitized photos from 1900 forward online in our home office with currently seven computers.  There is also a box of several hundred floppy disks in the basement.  Our laptop batteries even give backup power, and our subdivision does have power outages a half dozen times a year when drivers argue with utility poles.  The only online storage I recently became aware of is that the screen saver on our Amazon streaming device has started showing digital pictures that it has collected from somewhere by itself.  (Moral of this is be careful what you take pictures of!)

My solution for the power outages is quite simple - a bottle of wine on the patio.  Maybe all you folks' companies would do this for you.  What I need to get yet is a propane-fired coffee pot and I'm covered.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Thank you, Steve, for the good definition of "private cloud". I've seen the phrase used but didn't understand the difference between a private cloud and just having a data center. (Boy, that sounds trite, and I don't mean to say its trite, I just can't think of a better way of putting it.)

I work for a company which is probably like a lot of others, that don't know how to take advantage of the cloud, whether its public or private. Everything we do is done using old methodologies as if the only thing that's involved is one machine being used by one user. This leads to inefficiencies and higher costs, but they don't want to change how anything is done. Consequently, I'm sure at some point, possibly this year, they'll conclude that the cloud cannot ever work for anyone, and thus pull out of the cloud entirely, whether its public or private cloud.

What I'd like to know is how does one determine what sort of cloud strategy a company is following?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply