Monitoring SQL Server

• Due to some limitations we may have to monitor all of our sql servers with two different monitoring tools. Would that we bad idea and what other issues i could come into?

• As usual - it depends. For instance, it depends on the way tools work and gather the data.

Some tools run server-side traces,  others collect data from DMVs.

I saw an in-house tool which resets wait stats  each time it collects the data and this will obviously affect other tools.

Also, double workload and potential contention is highly possible .

• Thanks! So you won't recommended this and there could be problems it depends? I agree the purpose of monitoring tool is for different things. But it is still manageable to monitor SQL Servers with some additional workload right?

• "Thanks! So you won't recommended this and there could be problems it depends?"

In order to say more precisely, in your case I would "profile" each monitoring tool to get understanding  what it does and how it does in terms of actions on SQL server side.  Then I would analyse the findings and make a conclusion whether they are "compatible" or not.

"But it is still manageable to monitor SQL Servers with some additional workload right?"

If they do not block each other, then you SQL server will survive and, perhaps, feel well. However, you should clearly realise why do you do that (double monitoring).

• Can I ask why you'd want two tools on the same server?

• It really does depend on the two tools we're talking about and why you're using two.

Now, take something like Microsoft System Center as a monitoring tool. It does the bare bones basics for SQL Server. So, when I was using SC, I augmented it with a second monitoring tool that gave me more detail on SQL Server.

If we're talking a similar situation, it should be fine. If we're talking about two 3rd party vendor tools that are effectively doing identical work, I'd question pointing them both at a single server. At that point, I'm with Steve. Why?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Admingod wrote:

Due to some limitations we may have to monitor all of our sql servers with two different monitoring tools. Would that we bad idea and what other issues i could come into?

What limitations are you talking about in each tool?

And, yeah... two monitoring systems is generally a bad idea because they both will require repositories somewhere (usually on SQL Server itself) and they will both require licensing, etc, etc.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply