Monitor network traffic

• Is there a way to monitor network bandwidth on a SQL Server? My network admin is telling me that we r using over 1 terabyte of bandwidth per hour and I am not sure how to capture that. Through Perfmon?DMV?

• There are built in metrics in Permon that you can use. Here's an article. Chapter 3 (or maybe 4, I forget) of my book also discusses monitoring the network. There's little you can do about network traffic directly though, so this is a bit of a waste of time. Instead you need to ensure that queries are only moving the data they need to move and only when they need to move it. Proper filtering makes all the difference.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Chitown wrote:

Is there a way to monitor network bandwidth on a SQL Server? My network admin is telling me that we r using over 1 terabyte of bandwidth per hour and I am not sure how to capture that. Through Perfmon?DMV?

"BandWidth"??? Bandwidth where?  "Bandwidth" applies to many different areas.  What is meant here?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply