Mixed 2k5 and 2k8 environment and SSIS drivers

• Hey guys, quickie question for y'all. I haven't done any 2k8 upgrades wholesale yet and wanted to know if I'm paranoid or if I'm dealing with a legit concern.

We currently use a dedicated SSIS box that's going to be left on 2k5 for awhile. All jobs/etc are loaded to that server. We're preparing to do a partial upgrade of our environment to SQL 2k8 R2. I'm concerned I won't be able to have the SSIS 2k5 packages communicate with the 2k8 environment.

I'm still waiting for testing environments to come online but has anyone done this and do you have any comments that could ease my mind about this particular concern? As far as I know you have to instantiate any mixed communication from the highest version.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Sorry... I've got nothing for you, Craig. Kinda stuck in the 2k5 world for now.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Never been a problem for me. My SSIS server is still SQL 2005 has no problem running against the rest of the environment which is 98% 2008R2 =, 1% 2005 and 1% 2000.

Its gone through the whole upgrade process pointing at 2005 and then the 2008R2 version of the server.

I'm in the advantageous position of having most of our packages using a variable for any servers.

• Should probably also point out that I use a dedicated SSIS server which stores the packages in MSDB

• I am in the process of migrating some 2005 database instances to 2008R2 but will have some boxes running 2005 packages against the new 2008R2 databases for a while. I installed the 2008R2 Native Client on the 2005 boxes and changed the connection strings in my XML config files to use the newer provider. So XML config items like this:

<Configuration ConfiguredType="Property" Path="\Package.Connections[ConnectionManagerName].Properties[ConnectionString]" ValueType="String">

<ConfiguredValue>Data Source=servername;Initial Catalog=dbname;Provider=SQLNCLI.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Auto Translate=False;</ConfiguredValue>

</Configuration>

have changed to this:

<Configuration ConfiguredType="Property" Path="\Package.Connections[ConnectionManagerName].Properties[ConnectionString]" ValueType="String">

<ConfiguredValue>Data Source=servername;Initial Catalog=dbname;Provider=SQLNCLI10;Integrated Security=SSPI;Auto Translate=False;</ConfiguredValue>

</Configuration>

We're still testing the migration in its entirety but this approach has not shown any issues from the SSIS-side and is barring late breaking news it will likely be what we deploy to the 2005 boxes when we migrate the relevant database instances onto 2008R2.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Awesome to hear, thanks everyone. I'll make sure we can swap up to the Native Client 10.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply