Missing Indexes

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Missing Indexes

• Excellent question, many thanks Kendra.

• Great question and clear explanation, thanks Kendra.πŸ™‚

• While I absolutely agree with what has been stated in the explanation, the question was (emphasis is mine)...

How many missing index requests are in the execution plan below, seen in SQL Server Management Studio?

Even the explanation says you can only see one here. πŸ˜‰  You do have to look elsewhere if you want to see more but, in the "execution plan below", only one is visible.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Monday, December 3, 2018 7:51 AM

While I absolutely agree with what has been stated in the explanation, the question was (emphasis is mine)...

How many missing index requests are in the execution plan below, seen in SQL Server Management Studio?

Even the explanation says you can only see one here. πŸ˜‰  You do have to look elsewhere if you want to see more but, in the "execution plan below", only one is visible.

Ah, but the point is that we can't tell what *is* in the plan based on what is *visible* in the graphic plan.  The question didn't ask what was visible -- it just referenced what is shown in SSMS.

• Kendra.Little - Monday, December 3, 2018 7:58 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, December 3, 2018 7:51 AM

While I absolutely agree with what has been stated in the explanation, the question was (emphasis is mine)...

Ah, but the point is that we can't tell what *is* in the plan based on what is *visible* in the graphic plan.  The question didn't ask what was visible -- it just referenced what is shown in SSMS.

I beg to differ but "macht nichts".  Heh... it's just proof as to why I hate taking tests.  It's sometimes up to how you try to interpret the meaning that the author of the question was inferring.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Monday, December 3, 2018 8:03 AM

I beg to differ but "macht nichts".  Heh... it's just proof as to why I hate taking tests.  It's sometimes up to how you try to interpret the meaning that the author of the question was inferring.

I think the intent was clear but wholeheartedly agree with Jeff on how questions can be misinterpreted!

• Well, I fell trap to semantics. I held tight to the keyword "seen" and all that could truly be seen in what was provided was the one index. Oh well.

• I agree there is an issue with this question - I think it is one of how much does the poster expect the answerers to know? I knew that that there could be further missing indexes than just the one shown in SSMS - but is that what the poster is looking for? Perhaps they expect minimal knowledge of the topic and are posting an easy question? In that the case then yes, there is only 1 missing index suggestion shown in SSMS.

I think the question should have been phrased more clearly - testing people should not be about trying to trick them, but seeing how much they know - with clear expectations.

MattF

• chris geswein - Monday, December 3, 2018 9:00 AM

Well, I fell trap to semantics. I held tight to the keyword "seen" and all that could truly be seen in what was provided was the one index. Oh well.

Same here πŸ˜€

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• Nice question, thanks Kendra

• nice Q

Ta

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The more you know, the more you know that you dont know

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply