Missing Data

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Missing Data

• Heh... I wonder if some of the information that the fitness watch is telling you isn't a part of the reason for some of the restless nights 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I got my Garmin because I got sick of my phone not recording what I was doing on Strava.  To Jeff's point I found that Strava was reducing my enjoyment of the activities it tracked because it tells you how well (or not, oh so very much not) you are doing against other people.  Instead of enjoying an hour on my bike I was agonising over how it was physically possible for someone to get up a 2 mile climb 5x faster than what I could manage.  CLUE: I have two Olympic medalists living in my village.

The Garmin does sync with Strava but I don't look at Strava anymore.

There is a danger that your targets become a psychological rod for your back.  Getting anxiety because you haven't done your 10,000 steps a day!

One thing I do notice with the metrics is that they can predict when I am going to get sick.  It took me a while to work out that this was something that was being predicted.  The only thing I worry about is where is this data stored and who might have access to it.

I know that bike thieves use Strava data to spot who is likely to have an expensive bike and where they live.

• Interesting David - your post confirms to me that my policy of only competing with myself is sensible in many ways.

• Steve, it's good to know that you weren't truly flat-lined during those missing days.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Heh... I wonder if some of the information that the fitness watch is telling you isn't a part of the reason for some of the restless nights 😀

Maybe, but it's mostly just a quick glance often where I look for trends. I don't study it that deeply, but I like seeing it periodically.

• David.Poole wrote:

There is a danger that your targets become a psychological rod for your back.  Getting anxiety because you haven't done your 10,000 steps a day!

I try hard not to use any social parts of the apps. I use MapMyRun as well, mostly for historical reasons, but I also like the calendar view of life. It's often just a thumb sketch of what I've done, and I treat it as a fuzzy view. Am I doing a decent job regularly, rather than am I faster/stronger/more. The step count for me is really, am I sitting too much. Some days, I just ignore it and accept it's a busy day, but it lets me better understand how health fits around life. Neither is always more important than the other, but sometimes it is.

• skeleton567 wrote:

Steve, it's good to know that you weren't truly flat-lined during those missing days.

Hopefully the reports and averages show that!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply