Mind Your Manners

• Great article!  Answering posts can be pretty tough, especially when the poster refuses to answer any questions posed by the person trying to help. 

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• ... and she *strikes back* with elegant writing and a very nice must-read article

* Noel

• Excellent article!  I was once chased off of a forum by a scathing reply (not SSC!); don't think I have ever tried asking another question there. I had searched the forum for hours for an answer. I spent another hour trying to determine the correct location for my post. I obviously got it wrong according to one responder. Maybe you could add one more item to your article on manners ... If you're going to tell someone they are posting in the wrong location, perhaps you could suggest which is the correct location!

• Well mannered, well informed, well written, well done !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Wonderful article.  It is unfortunate that some people have trouble communicating nicely.  Your article is a great reminder and support for those who are doing their best to make this a great site.

• Quite refreshing!  This is a great morale booster for all who use the site. 

Paul

- Paul

http://paulpaivasql.blogspot.com/

• Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

If you would not write about it, maybe I would. We do have to be polite to each other, we do visit this forum to talk to the friends, we are glad when see familiar names in green, so they are online. So many times I did not participate in a particualr discussion but just wanted to add "look, I am watching this thread..."

As for the suggestion on the clear question, I may add: "Describe your issue in a couple of phrases going from less specific to more specific as you would describe it to you manager, and then post details and relevant code" If the post is to long and starts code, I may not be able to determine right away if I have or don't have the expertise to answer.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• This site has been second home to me for a long time and I am so glad that I was able to put together something that can only help all the great people here - some of whom have become friends, some confidantes and most who've been responsible for mentoring thousands of SQL Server folks scattered across the globe...the wealth of knowledge here always humbles me and I am truly glad that the article may be instrumental in perhaps guiding members towards a better communication flow...

Tim, John, Stephanie, Craig, Jereme, Paul - thank you for your kind words.

spearson - I did kind of "hint" at the fact that someone will point you in the right direction if you've posted in the wrong forum - maybe I should've been more explicit. Thanks for sharing that fact about being chased off by a scathing reply - that's one of the main things that really really upsets me - people who ask for help being subjected to a withering response from a member and then reduced to never having the courage to ask again!

Noel, Rudy, Kathi, Yelena - You're some of the SQL greats on this site and your comments have definitely added an extra bounce in my step..

Remi - off the top of my head the only thing I remember is that almost all those questions were from forums in which you participated - if I had had enough time I was actually going to ask you if you remember some of them..

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Great article. Having just spent some time working through a posted question with some other SSC members, I could see the guys was struggling with some of the answers and there was some tension building throughout the thread.

In the end, one of the members did an excellent job of encouraging the poster to take on board the things he was being told.

For an article about communication it was important that you were able to communicate it well and I applaud your efforts.

I too think your signature is great and very relevant. Whilst my signature is not relevant, is was spawned from an editorial Steve put up late last year, early this year.

Regards,

Steve

Life without beer is no life at all

All beer is good, some beers are just better than others

• I'm sorry to say that I forgot most of the messages I posted over the years... only the logic and knowledge remains.  But I do remember quite a few new comers posting quite a few newbie questions.  Some of them spawning well over 100 messages.  But that's another story.

• While I am a newb here (and to SQL in general) I have been using message boards and forums for a number of years to help solve my problems and to assist other folks with theirs and I have to say that article should not only be required reading here but every technical forum on the web.

Sushila, thank you for taking the time to put that together and share it!

• Claps, claps, claps for article

• Definitely required reading for any forum. Just hope it gets through to the ones that need it!

Well done.

Pat

• Very good contained article - very much appreciated.

I have asked questions in forums and i have to admit that i have never been disappointed by SSC community.

The point I would like to make is - I have a habit of Updating my questions (with say RESOLVED or posting Solution) when i ithink i have found the solution. So it helps others who might be out there with same problem, rather then just leaving the question open ended.

Mits

• Really good method. You respect answerers!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply