Migration to SQL Server

• I am working on migration project and doing the conversion using SSMA. Checking to see if anyone has done the migration from Sybase to SQL Server. If yes, can you list some of the issues identified. I have identified some of the issues and happy to share but just wanted to check with anyone here that has really worked on it and has any inputs or advise that the migration can be done in a better way? Thanks in advance!

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I never kept a list of everything but the migration assistant will pick up most things and provide workarounds and additional information for the ones the assistant didn't convert. And then you test and test and test...just like any other migration. There used to be more documentation on going Sybase to SQL Server but I don't see very much recently published. It's likely difficult to keep up with all the changes with each platform.  Some of the older docs would still be a good reference. Refer to this article and then the link at the very bottom of the article for the pdf  "Guide to Migrating from Sybase ASA to SQL Server 2008"

Migrating Sybase ASE to SQL Server: Similarities and Differences to Help in Planning a Migration Project

Sue

• Lately, the migration assistant also transmits a shedload of information about the servers involved to Microsoft, which I don't believe I want them to have no matter how benign they claim it might be.  For that reason, I don't use the migration assistant anymore.  Your thoughts on the subject may differ from mine but at least you know now.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I have seen issues using with migration assistant for loading large data. Do you think SSMA is not a good option for migration large database? Any major issues you can list from sybase to SQL Server?

• Large can mean 50 GB to some, 50 TB to others. How long is a piece of string? You need to test some of this in a lower environment. We only migrated a 100 - 200 GB database, can't remember the exact size but still took some time. If the size and migration interferes with any maintenance type of window you might have, you can look at Sybase Replication Server as it used to support heterogeneous replication from Sybase to SQL Server. And I know nothing else at all about it. You would need to research that one. I don't know what it supports these days in terms of versions, other platforms, etc.

Some stored procedures needed to be redone just due to different optimizers on different platforms but that's to be expected. The best way to tell is to test. Issues can often vary with different migrations as well so the best thing to do is to test. And lastly, thoroughly test.

Sue

• when using SSMA my advise on migrations is to do data separately - let the tool convert objects (where it can) and do data yourself - more control of when/what and how it is done.

Apart from this Sue has already stated the obvious and gave a support link.

• Thanks. I notice that you can configure the SSMA to batch the data move and control the batch size. The question is when the migration is initiated for approx 1 to 2 TB db and then you get the network issue, how would the data migration works...Would it continue where it stopped? If not does ETL is the option to load the data incrementally? Any ideas? When i ran the report using SSMA the conversion success rate was very high. Is that be accurate? I am sure testing will be done. But just checking any advise here?

• I am using SSMA to migrate data from sybase to SQL Server. I have table that has approx 40 columns on source. I am getting an error on sybase side "failed col is reserved for internal use".

I would like to just remove this column from the conversion. I though i would be able to edit the data migration tab, how do i tell SSMA to exclude the columns that not needed?

It doesn't appear that SSMA can do this. Any idea?

• Any advise?

• same as I gave original - do the data migration yourself without using SSMA

• Thanks. Yes I am doing the migration using SSIS and BCP and notice load is faster than SSMA. However, I am trying to adjust settings in SSMA which seems to improve the data transfer load time. But what I noticed using SSMA I noticed it is adding two additional columns which are not exist in source table so I am trying to exclude those columns but did not find the option to exclude any one came across this and I searched in online but no help.

• Lot of changes in the security model from Sybase to SQL. I was looking for a strategy for manage our servers and databases going forward after migrating to SQL Server. Thanks in Advance!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply