Migrating Oracle Packages to SQL2000

• Does any one know a good way to migrate the feature of packages in Oracle for use in SQL2000?

In sql statements we use package variables accross packages..meaning using them as Global Variables.

Is there any good way of doing the same thing in Sql Server ..or Can we actually do it or not ?

• The only ways I can think of would be to use actual global variables in a DTS Package and the other would be to create an SP to call all the internal functions, and procedures and actually just pass in the global variables as parameters. The last way would be to put your values into a global temp table that is refered to in the various functions and procedures.

When I did Oracle Packages many moons ago I tried to stay away from the global variables as like in any language they are pretty dangerous if not used correctly. For the above choices I would opt for the "Package variables" to be parameters you pass in to the procedures. This allows for a more modular approach IMHO.

Gary Johnson
    Microsoft Natural Language Group
    DBA, Sr. DB Engineer

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and may not reflect that of my employer.

• there is migration-software on the marked. I just cannot recall the providers company-name.

The where present at last years PASS-conference in Seattle.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Hi,

If time permits its always a good idea to follow a professional approach of analysing the dependencies and equivalent functions and datatypes in SQL Server and writing the Stored Procedures and User Functions from scratch based on the required functionality. If we convert the existing procedures and functions from Oracle Package to SQL Server using migration tools at times the performance may not be optimal.  So it is always advised to re write the logic based on output requirement, using the same parameter names.

Thanks

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

• Found it back.

Take a look at http://www.dbbest.com/

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• I'd love to see the Package feature in SQL Server 2005. It's a nice OO approach to developing stored procedures.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply