Migrating from 2005 to 2008 or waiting to upgrate to 2012?

• Hi,

We were planing to migrate our 2005 server to 2008 in 2-3 months.

Should we wait to migrate to 2012 RTM? Will it be safe to use this version in production? Do we have a better idea of when 2012 will be available?

Thanks,

Rem

• Hard questions to answer.

Some of it depends on the licensing you have with Microsoft. Some of it depends on Vendor support of applications you have. Some it depends on budget. 2012 changes the licensing model and 2008R2 is more expensive than 2008. For the most part it is safe to upgrade to 2008. And if you are looking to do it in a very short timeframe, I would upgrade to 2008 and then wait until sp1 of 2012 before looking at upgrading to 2012.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jason has some good points. Be sure you look at licensing. The change from sockets to cores may or may not affect you. If you have high density processors (> 4 cores), then I might upgrade to R2 now because the licensing will be in your favor if you move to 2012.

If you don't see a reason to move to 2012, I'm not sure I would. Why are you going to 2008 now? Is there something you are using in 2008?

• Hi,

I forgot the R2... I meant going to 2008R2 or 21012 from 2005.

Thanks

• Calculate the licensing costs. There isn't a set 2012 price yet, but give it a go based on the 2008R2 + 10-20% and see if the cores matter to you.

If you have a project in place, I might stick with it. If you will/can use some of the 2012 changes to improve code (T-SQL changes, AlwaysOn, etc.) then maybe wait.

• Thanks,

You mean stick with 2008R2?

• That is the way I interpret what Steve said. It's what I would do at this juncture as well.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Rem70Rem (1/19/2012)

. . . Do we have a better idea of when 2012 will be available? . . .

Release date is March 23rd. Note that the release date may or may not mean General Availability date.

• If you are into BI and use Visual Studio, you may wish to go directly to SQLS 2012/BIS 2012. As there is no Business Intelligence Studio 2010, BIS distributed with 2008 will be two generations back.

• Is that official? Mar 23?

Yes, I meant stick with 2008 R2. Or stick with 2005 if you don't have a compelling reason for the upgrade.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (1/19/2012)

Is that official? Mar 23?

Yes, I meant stick with 2008 R2. Or stick with 2005 if you don't have a compelling reason for the upgrade.

That's is the date I got from the SQLS QA. And I think it is a correct one: on March 26 there is a launch party in Las Vegas. I guess that might be an opportunity to announce GA.

• Just a bit curious if there are any changed thoughts on this based on price known now.

I am looking to go from 2005 to 2008 R2 (before the 1st) for advances in query plan generation optimization and other back-end capabilities and likely cruise on 2008 R2 for several years to come. Possibly not going to 2012 or even the version after (so as also not to be stuck on 2005 at that time). I see a few really good advancements from 2005 to 2008 R2, and 2012 mainly focused on BI enhancements that I saw, and features like functions our company has a solution for in TSQL. All Standard edition, smaller shop for IT but mid sized company with lighter reporting needs in the present time. BI growth desired but not at the current expense to jump to 2012 Enterprise from 2005 Standard. Looking to have good dashboard capabilities, but still lighter on expense.

Thoughts changed from topic post time/thoughts why that would be bad to make a last run to 2008 R2 on processor license scheme and sit on it for a while? Server due for upgrade too, so maybe next year new server and to transfer from CPU to CPU versus CPU with current core count and CPU core count upgrade could be costly as well.

• Hmm,

I think we might consider the SQL 2012 BI edition once we actually get to see a price. We currently don't have Sharepoint or Reporting Services deployed, but they are on the list. We're in the situation that we've been spun off from our former organization while at the same time consolidating lots of small "divisions" and we're just now getting our own infrastructure up and in place. Going with the newest version might be a good idea, though we are also upgrading to 2008R2 in production in the next couple of weeks....

• Looks like the site isn't updated and you have to call MS to get a price.

US: (800) 426-9400

Canada: (877) 568-2495

• The prices are evil, our company is grandfathered in for atleast another 18-20 months before the new pricing takes affect :w00t:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply