Migrated DB to 2016, having ODBC Access problem

• briancampbellmcad - Thursday, February 15, 2018 3:11 PM

I must not have followed something correctly. I Created a DSN called CPCE_2016_Copy on my machine, found that file and in regedit copied it over to the registry on the VM. But i can't find it in the VM's registry. I did it twice and failed twice.

If you tested it and connected successfully, you can just use the ODBC data source administrator on the VM, follow the same steps and create it on the VM.
    Just try to get it working first. Create it on the VM and make sure to test it and that you can connect successfully.

Sue

• I went into the ODBC Datasource Administrator on my VM and created a User Data Source called CPCE_VM using the ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server since I'm guessing that is needed to work with SQL 2016. It only asked me for the server name not the database name. Tested it and it said it connected to the server. I re-open my MS-Access database from my VM and go into the LTM to point to the actual database on SQL Server (CPCE_DB) but it says it cannot find anything in the database or even tell me if it can see the database. Should I go into regedit to grab a .reg file?

• briancampbellmcad - Tuesday, February 20, 2018 1:01 PM

I went into the ODBC Datasource Administrator on my VM and created a User Data Source called CPCE_VM using the ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server since I'm guessing that is needed to work with SQL 2016. It only asked me for the server name not the database name. Tested it and it said it connected to the server. I re-open my MS-Access database from my VM and go into the LTM to point to the actual database on SQL Server (CPCE_DB) but it says it cannot find anything in the database or even tell me if it can see the database. Should I go into regedit to grab a .reg file?

I don't know anymore...my ODBC Data Source Administrator has an option for a default database so mine appears to be different from yours. How I'm not sure as I don't remember setting up a user DSN for Access where you do not have that option. Something isn't right as I have no idea what it's telling you when it says it cannot find anything in the database or even if the database exists. Just have not seen these before. I wouldn't go and mess with anything in the registry if it doesn't work.

Sue

• My bad... It does allow me to specify a default database. Let me try again.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply