Migrate SSRS Reports from 2005 to 2008 R2

• if I take a copy of my (2005) ReportServer DB and restore it onto my (2008) DB is that actually creating the reports on the new server, what about the datasets, .rdl's etc. Wouldn't I need to build & deploy each report folder. If taking a copy of the database and restoring it to the destination server is all I have to do that's great.

• You may also need to restore ReportServerDB. You will need to backup and restore the encryption key from the 2005 instance to the 2008 R2 instance.

Yes it should bring everything across to the 2008 R2 instance. The catalog in the ReportServer database contains the RDL, datasource, folders and permissions. So the restore will make everything available in the 2008 R2 instance.

• By restoring a copy of the 2K5 database onto the 2K8 database, I will have dataset's which point to the 2K5 db and not to the 2K8 database as well as the 2K5 URL. Then I would have to modify each dataset to reference the new database and correct the URL to point to the new server correct.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply