Migrate On-prem DB

• Hi Experts,

Is there anyway to migrate database with filestream to SQL Managed instanace? Will Azure database migration service will help to achieve this task?

TIA

• Filestream just isn't supported on Azure SQL Database or Managed Instance. You just can't use it at all. I haven't tested this particular scenario with the Migration Service, but yes, I believe it will handle it. If not, you just have to define the database structure in question without FileStream and then use whatever other tool you like to migrate the data over.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey wrote:

Filestream just isn't supported on Azure SQL Database or Managed Instance. You just can't use it at all. I haven't tested this particular scenario with the Migration Service, but yes, I believe it will handle it. If not, you just have to define the database structure in question without FileStream and then use whatever other tool you like to migrate the data over.

Thanks Grant , seems like migration service wont support this.  But the work around is to use blob storage to keep all files and the link will be saved in DB.

• VastSQL wrote:

Grant Fritchey wrote:

Filestream just isn't supported on Azure SQL Database or Managed Instance. You just can't use it at all. I haven't tested this particular scenario with the Migration Service, but yes, I believe it will handle it. If not, you just have to define the database structure in question without FileStream and then use whatever other tool you like to migrate the data over.

Thanks Grant , seems like migration service wont support this.  But the work around is to use blob storage to keep all files and the link will be saved in DB.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I've heard of so many such limits, missing features, and other problems having to do with Azure, I have to seriously wonder two  things...

1. What the hell is Microsoft thinking?
    2. What the hell are people that use it thinking?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden wrote:

I've heard of so many such limits, missing features, and other problems having to do with Azure, I have to seriously wonder two  things...

1. What the hell is Microsoft thinking?
    2. What the hell are people that use it thinking?

I've had a significant role change, so not posted much on here lately. On the plus side, learning lots of new stuff in Azure, but... try the limitations in SQL Serverless in Azure Synapse. Just when you think you have a solution to something, nope can't use that feature.

"Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it. When we enquire into any subject, the first thing we have to do is to know what books have treated of it. This leads us to look at catalogues, and at the backs of books in libraries."
    — Samuel Johnson
    I wonder, would the great Samuel Johnson have replaced that with "GIYF" now?

• Lordy.  Thanks for the feedback and good to "see" you again.

I also love the short story in your signature line.  The only problem with either books or "GIYF" is that it seems like half of all that is written is wrong and the other half is written in such a fashion that it's difficult to tell.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I just encountered this picture which also applies to our line of duty ...

239474904_10160220542178690_2206662686561611294_n

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply