Migrate database to azure

• Good morning all ,

I have a 600GB database that I must transfer from an on-premises machine to an on Azure VM machine (iaas)

I would like to use the dbatools copy-database tool for this

for this I will have to know what will be the best storage method that allows me to have a fast transfer

1 local backup then restore on the Azure machine

2 remote backups directly on the machine in azure

3 a backup and a restore from stoarge azure blob

thank you for your advice

• I answered this over on stackexchange too. I'd use AZCopy to move the backups up to Azure Blob Storage, specifically where your VM has defined it's storage. Then, it's just a standard database restore. No tricks. Nothing weird. AZCopy is the fastest way I've seen for moving data up. If you move to multiple 10s of terrabytes, Microsoft has  service where you can ship them a drive, but you need to be a lot bigger than a few hundred gb to make that worth while.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Oh, that is rather hard question

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• TimWoods wrote:

Before you publish your project to Azure App Service, you must first upload your project's database to Azure SQL Database.

Heh... do tell... Just how would you accomplish such a thing or is this just generic typing to cover for the spam link in your signature line?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply