Microsoft reaches unprecedented levels of incompetence

• Is is just me, or has anyone else noticed that, in their race to increase revenues, Microsoft has reached unprecedented levels of incompetence (please respond)?

As a professional .NET and SQL Server developer, I have been trying to obtain the SQL Server 2008 R2 Developers edition for several months now only for some inexplicable reason, references to it can be found on a multitude of Microsoft web pages, but without any links to a download site or a purchase provision. Many current forum entries can be seen stating the developer edition can be purchased from Microsoft for $50.00 (which was once a free-to-developers product in earlier editions), however there is no provision for this anymore on any of the Microsoft sites or even third party sites like Amazon (which lists a purchase availability site with provision that it is currently unavailable).

On contacting the Microsoft store, I discovered that the developer edition of SQL Server has been pulled from public sales. However, rather than replace their web-sites with updated information reflecting this, they have merely stopped all deliveries and eliminated links to actually purchase the product. I also found out that SQL Server Developer edition can still be obtained, by subscribing to the Microsoft Technet Service.

I initially had no idea what this Technet Service was all about, but was told I could subscribe for as little as $199.95 ($211 with taxes and fees). Hmm... free to $50 to $200 ... a big jump, but considering, I had no alternative to being able to set up and experiment with SSIS and SSAS on my home Window's 7 pro PC, I purchased a subscription.

After a week of no email or postal service response to my purchase, I contacted the Microsoft store where the store rep could not figure out what went wrong, redirected me to a store technical rep, who likewise was unable to resolve my purchase, and redirected me to Technet Service technical rep, who informed me the store should have sent me three different account number/keys to access their system, and redirected me back to yet another store rep.

This last representative did try to help sending me an email of original reply I should have received on the day of my order. This was complicated because my ISP doesn't immediately forward incoming mail due to junk mail processing they perform on their server before forward it. Eventually, I received all eight copies she had sent and in them there was only a single 25 character Subscription Key.

By this time the Technet representative dropped out of the conversation, however I went ahead and used the link in the email to go to the Technet subscription site while the store representative stayed on the line. On the Technet subscription site, I found they actually show an example of the 25-character Activation Key format as the only thing I need, however when I selected it's "Activate Now" link, I found a "Benefit Access Number" requirement which has a maximum of 16 characters (will not accept the 25-character Subscription Key). I tried explaining all this to the store representative who could not understand and only offered inane solutions. By, this time becoming highly irate I demanded a refund to which I am still waiting to see it posted back into my bank account (only took two minutes to debit my account).

The real kicker is, after looking up the Technet subscriptions I have found that it seems to exist primarily to provide access to software that is no offered (i.e., the removal of SQL Sever Developer edition from public access) and to provide product support (i.e., forum access) for a YEARLY subscription price from $200 to $600 which can/should be had for free.

Complaining to Microsoft via email, has only produced the following result: "I understand that, you would like to know where you could purchase Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer edition." with a 1-800 phone number to the Microsoft Sales Information Team to make my purchase.

I don't know about you, but I am really beginning to wish I had stuck with supporting J2EE and DB2 or MySQL!

Ron K.

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand." -- Martin Fowler

• Your experience is most unusual to say the least.

Using Goggle I uncovered 5 or 6 retailers (NOT Amazon).

Selected CDW Direct, excepted a 5 day delivery lead time.

Total cost $46.99.

Developer edition was delivered via Fed Ex on the third (3rd) business day after my order was placed.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Bitbucket,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

My developer edition is in being shipped from CDW as I type. Apparently I had an alternative that did not occur to me! Of course, this does not speak to the ineptitude that seems to reign at Microsoft these days.

Ron K.

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand." -- Martin Fowler

• I have heard similar stories from other people. They weren't trying to make a purchase of Developer edition. One of the people from whom I have heard such complaints is an MVP.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I don't recall the developer edition ever being free. I do remember to cost $500 USD prior to the release of SQL Server 2005 DE which was priced at $50 USD.

The MSDE, and later the Express editons are available for free.

• Lynn,

I am sure you are partially right about earlier editions, even though I could have sworn at one point Microsoft was giving away developer editions of 2000 in one special offer or another. However, I know I didn't pay anything for my personal 2005 developers version, but it did come pre-packaged with my Visual Studio 2005 professional order. And, I am sure I saw 2005 being given away for free in a number of "special promotions" even while, at the same time, Microsoft was still trying to collect their $50 for it in their standard adds.

Ron K.

• i have a technet subscription which i have just renewed for another year without any issues. I did however have issues with MS and misprints in one of their press books. My technet subscription gives me access to other MS software too for one cost

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry,

Obviously, you signed up and renewed your subscription through the Technet site, itself, and did not go through the Microsoft Store. The Technet technician told me, I wouldn't have had any problem if I had subscribed with them directly, but apparently he could do nothing without the correct information from the Store which they are not providing and especially are not coordinating sales within their own company.

I am glad you responded because quite frankly, after reading the Technet public site I still had no real idea of what specific items a standard subscription includes or whether it was a worthwile investment or not. They only give general topics with a comparison of "How Much More" they offer with their higher cost subscriptions. For all I know they may give away SQL Server Developer and a handful of other old software no one would ever want and either say you had to upgrade to get anything good or possibly offer desirable apps for at "Reduced Cost". They should be allowing prospective subscribers see lists of offered products at each level and samples of the other areas to show how a subscription would benefit a professional developer over what is already available from open source and forums such as SQL Sever Central.

Ron K.

• I get office, OS and server products to play with. Helps you to keep up with the latest MS technologies!

MS press are poor though IMHO

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Ron Kunce (10/3/2010)

Lynn,

I am sure you are partially right about earlier editions, even though I could have sworn at one point Microsoft was giving away developer editions of 2000 in one special offer or another. However, I know I didn't pay anything for my personal 2005 developers version, but it did come pre-packaged with my Visual Studio 2005 professional order. And, I am sure I saw 2005 being given away for free in a number of "special promotions" even while, at the same time, Microsoft was still trying to collect their $50 for it in their standard adds.[/quote

IIRC, SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition was included with the Profesional version of Visual Studio and higher. If you had the Standard Edition, however, you did not get SQL Server 2005 DE. In essence, purchasing the Visual Studio Professional version meant you "paid for" the SQL Server 2005 DE in the additional cost over the Standard Edition.

As for me, I couldn't afford the Professional Edition (I did get the standard Edition free at a Best of Launch event for SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio 2005 along with a copy of SQL Server 2005 StandardEdition). I purchased SQL Server 2005 DE myself for learning purposes.

I don't recall MS providing SQL Server 2000 DE free, but I could be wrong.

• You do realize that technet contains more than just one program right? for 200 some odd $, it is a tremendous investment for when you need to download everything from windows xp to windows 7, office, different versions of SQL, etc...to see how either your applications perform with different software, or to test your IT environment for incompatibilities.

Technet is a great resource and is more than worth the 200 something fee every year.

• As a student I downloaded SQL Server 2008 Developer (not R2) from the Microsoft Dreamspark website - https://www.dreamspark.com - but you must be a validated student for it to work. Also I just checked and they don't have SQL Server 2008 R2, only SQL 2008, though through work I do have access to SQL 2008 R2 through TechNet.

So one way to get this along with all the other software they offer (which there is LOTS) is to sign-up for a night-time computer course at your local community college, validate your Login with Dreamspark, and download whatever software you need at no cost 🙂 I was quite pleased when MS added this since it gives students a great repository of software to work with for free.

Just a suggestion --

Sam

• The title of this topic seems a little strong for what is really just a gripe about what Microsoft charges for SQL Server Developer Edition.

• Michael,

No, the title directly describes the experience of the Microsoft Store being unable to coordinate their sales with other Microsoft departments, in being unable to provide the necessary keys to complete a subscription, Microsoft's lack of concern in providing effective directions and descriptions on their web sites, and the ineptitude of their staff in not being knowledgeable to resolve simple problem on their own.

It is NOT about a pricing complaint, at all. If you had actually tried to read my article you would have seen, I was perfectly willing to pay the higher price for the Technet subscription, even though I had no idea, at the time what a Technet subscription was all about. And later after looking at the Technet site I still didn't know because they do not allow you to drill down on their site to show you the details of what you are getting for your money (especially the cheaper subscription).

My aim was twofold (maybe three) in calling attention to the current incompetence that reigns rampant within Microsoft these days and to discover from others with Technet subscriptions if it is worth pursuing or not (in appears it is but not to be purchased from the Microsoft Store). The third being maybe to get an intelligent response from Microsoft because complaining directly to them only seems to perpetuate a vicious infinite loop of incompetent responses.

Hope you can read all of this because apparently you didn't read all of the first.

Ron K.

• Ron,

Unfortunately, complaining here on SSC probably won't result in the response you are looking to achieve.

Second, the problem you are complaining about isn't unique to Microsoft. You will find that it runs rampant throughout many businesses in many industries.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply