Microsoft Exercise

• Eric M Russell (4/27/2015)

PHYData DBA (4/27/2015)

Eric M Russell (4/27/2015)

I wish Microsoft would drop support for v2008R2 this year; I'd love to upgarde to v2014.

We would be running anything after 2008R2 if any of our vendors had tested their product on it yet...

Can not say who those vendors are, but the industry is Healthcare.

That actually explains a lot.

It does if you are thinking that Health Care and Health Insurance are different industries.

That the Health Insurance industry has ruined Health Care in this country.

Imagine having to trust that 99.99% of the bill for your product maybe paid by the customers Crazy Uncle somewhere around 30 to 90 days after they receive your product.

Maybe, because Crazy Uncle gets to decide how much you get to charge and if they will pay for it.

• PHYData DBA (4/27/2015)

PHYData DBA (4/27/2015)

I wish Microsoft would drop support for v2008R2 this year; I'd love to upgarde to v2014.

We would be running anything after 2008R2 if any of our vendors had tested their product on it yet...

That actually explains a lot.

It does if you are thinking that Health Care and Health Insurance are different industries.

That the Health Insurance industry has ruined Health Care in this country.

Imagine having to trust that 99.99% of the bill for your product maybe paid by the customers Crazy Uncle somewhere around 30 to 90 days after they receive your product.

Maybe, because Crazy Uncle gets to decide how much you get to charge and if they will pay for it.

It doesn't matter if we have many private payers, one single public payer, or if the payer is literally the patient's crazy uncle; it still boils down to providers getting told how much of if they will be paid.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• PHYData DBA (4/27/2015)

Say no more ...

Had one whose docs stated they supported 2012 "but only in 2000 compatability mode".

Oh, aye? You tested that mate?

Mind, to be fair, we do actually have a few good ones. One or two actually very good.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• So many things here. Where to start?

Steve, I thought that this was 29 days late (as I'm reading it). Recently on the news there was a piece about classrooms replacing desks with exercise bikes that have screens over the handle bars. They are doing this to improve reading scores. Testing showed that it worked. Unfortunately they do not have generators on these things so are not capturing all of this motion as power. That is short sighted. So I almost bought into your editorial in part about the intrusion of healthcare everywhere. It could happen.

As to the missed extra word "does" in the original it was sort of missed twice. One way to avoid that is to use a screen reader to have an article read aloud to you prior to posting. What the eyes miss the ears might catch. It works for me. But then I'm an audio oriented brain anyway.

One of the models that a company that I worked for used is the Software As A Subscription thing. You paid a low entry fee and a monthly per user service fee. Upgrades were both free and mandatory. For my company I am using a different model altogether.

It takes a lot of folks to properly support as many versions as Microsoft does. All of those folks have to eat. Bodies are expensive.

As far as the upgrading path you might find an analogy helpful. Often we see humorous articles about how it would be if Microsoft built cars. But then seriously look at that. You can't take your car back for an upgrade. You replace it. Yes there are after-market parts but you still don't see air bags on a '34 roadster. (There is also not much of a market in used software.)

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Charles Kincaid (4/29/2015)

So many things here. Where to start?

Ah, Charles, glad you've got some stuff for me.

Steve, I thought that this was 29 days late (as I'm reading it). Recently on the news there was a piece about classrooms replacing desks with exercise bikes that have screens over the handle bars. They are doing this to improve reading scores. Testing showed that it worked. Unfortunately they do not have generators on these things so are not capturing all of this motion as power. That is short sighted. So I almost bought into your editorial in part about the intrusion of healthcare everywhere. It could happen.

I have a few friends with treadmills below desks. I've thought about it. Certainly capturing the energy isn't a bad idea. At scale, that could add up. I'd think health clubs should be doing this, but perhaps the interconnects are more work than value?

As to the missed extra word "does" in the original it was sort of missed twice. One way to avoid that is to use a screen reader to have an article read aloud to you prior to posting. What the eyes miss the ears might catch. It works for me. But then I'm an audio oriented brain anyway.

I usually catch lots of typos when recording the podcasts. See things I didn't when editing. Not sure why I didn't get this one. Too busy. I could try the screen readers, but the ones I've heard before (my wife worked in text-to-speech) drove me slightly crazy.

One of the models that a company that I worked for used is the Software As A Subscription thing. You paid a low entry fee and a monthly per user service fee. Upgrades were both free and mandatory. For my company I am using a different model altogether.

For some things I like SaaS. Email, no brainer. I'll never set up an email system again. For Salesforce/CRM, quite a few apps, I like it. Office, I'm there. I like that model.

The platform, SQL? Not sold. There are issues. Overall I like PaaS, but certainly some maturity needed from MS and others.

It takes a lot of folks to properly support as many versions as Microsoft does. All of those folks have to eat. Bodies are expensive.

I would agree, but the feature list from version to version continues to shrink. Lots of bugs don't get fixed, and even carry into new versions. SSMS feels abandoned. I don't mind the short product cycles, but the support is lacking.

As far as the upgrading path you might find an analogy helpful. Often we see humorous articles about how it would be if Microsoft built cars. But then seriously look at that. You can't take your car back for an upgrade. You replace it. Yes there are after-market parts but you still don't see air bags on a '34 roadster. (There is also not much of a market in used software.)

Except if cars fundamentally have issues, they have to be fixed by law under recalls. Software can have egregious issues and be left alone.

The car analogy isn't good, but I do think the car people tend to test more and stand behind their systems better. OF course, a car is a fraction of the complexity of SQL Server.

Cheers, Charles.

• The treadmill has gotten faster and  the changes have gotten worse.

It's still amazes me that there are still bugs in the basic engine that they're fixing and that they make mistakes like they  did with 2012 and 2014.  I'll never be an early adopter of anything that MS does simply because I value my data.  And some of the "new/improved features" they come out with are an absolute joke.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply