MCJ - The Missing Link

• Steve Jones - Editor (7/15/2010)

Just wondering if this has fallen off everyone's radar?

http://sqlservercentral.sharepointspace.com/

Heh... oh my! Another month has gone by and nothing has happened on the SharePoint site since 5/24. 300 posts of high excitement on this thread, more posts on another thread, and blogs all over the place about the new cert. Yet, nothing has been done and the SharePoint site hasn't had an entry since May because people are too busy? I wonder how much time people have spent on blogs, posts, and on "The Thread" since everyone is too busy to do anything on the cert site. :-P;-)

If you want it to happen, let's get the show on the road folks. I posted some questions on the site that I need to have answered so I can start work on the Developer (T-SQL/OLTP) cert... or not. It depends on whether anyone is still actually interested in doing something other than just blogging about it. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• You're right - we do need to get back on track with this. I posted some responses.

I do have a lot more free time now. I was working some long days in the office and the sharepoint site was blocked from work. I am in a better spot now to start rolling again on this.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'll see about sending an email/digest out.

This is one of those things that I'd like to push a little, experiment with, if I make it on the board. If not, we can work on it on the side.

• I'll have to checkout the site again. Haven't been there in a while, hopefully I'll remember my password.

• Jeff, thank you for teh timely reminder, i will check the site tonight and post some responses. I am not sure how much time i have (much less than last time) but will do my best to contribute.

Also how many on this team are going to be at Seattle for the summit? It is a good opportunity to meet with PASS Board and talk more on this.

Thanks.

• dma-669038 (8/16/2010)

Jeff, thank you for teh timely reminder, i will check the site tonight and post some responses. I am not sure how much time i have (much less than last time) but will do my best to contribute.

Also how many on this team are going to be at Seattle for the summit? It is a good opportunity to meet with PASS Board and talk more on this.

Thanks.

We've had one thread on the subject with more than 300 posts on it and that was followed by another very long thread on the same subject. We've also seen blogs on the subject and we have the Sharepoint site to exchange ideas with. The subject has seen virtually no attention for nearly 3 months. Recently, Jeremiah Peschka pretty much laid out what needs to be done in the near term.

I'm thinking that the time for talk is over and we need a little action. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• All, is everyone working on something or have we lapsed into busy mode/silence again? Checked the sharepoint a few times and looks like we have:).

• I think so. I'll try to go over there and comment on a few things. Feeling slightly over committed right now.

• Steve, wholly understand that...am wondering if we should request Jeremiah for some time during the summit for those of us who are there atleast to get together for coffee and come up with a more concrete plan, plus we get to see one another in person. We are in September already, just around two months for that.

Thoughts anyone?

• Interesting changes to the MCM program:

http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Big-changes-to-the-MCM-program-and-how-SQLskills-can-help-you.aspx

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• This brings up a curious question (for myself). Microsoft and SQLSkills worked together on the MCM process and testing, and now made it where you don't have to do the 3 weeks on Microsoft campus. You now take a written exam, $500. If you pass it, then you meet the requirements for the $2000 lab exam.

The curiousity part: if people wanted something between MCITP and MCM why not utilize the written exam for the MCM, if Microsoft allowed it? You do have the downside that it is not dedicated (Admin side and Dev side), since you are required to have MCITP DBA and MCITP Developer for SQL 2008 prior to taking the written exam. However to be an all-around "expert" in SQL Server I believe you should be familar with both sides of the coin. I'm not a developer and would enjoy learning that side of the coin, even though I may not do developer work full time in my job.

I looked around on the MCM site for SQL Server and did not see anything that indicated any kind of recognition or "pre MCM certification" that would be given if you just went for the written exam.

Just thoughts that popped into my head 😀

Shawn Melton
    Twitter: @wsmelton
    Blog: wsmelton.github.com
    Github: wsmelton

• It's an interesting idea. The written MCM, which is all I'll take for now, doesn't get you anything, but is more a qualifier for the lab portion. It does provide an interesting intermediate level that is a bit in limbo.

I think that as fat as MCM training went, anyone can provide it. SQL Skills has the jump since they employ 3 of the teachers that were used in the prior program. However the idea was to separate the training (3 weeks in Redmond) from the exam, since many people might take the latter, but could not do the former.

I suspect that we will see some other companies, perhaps Adam Machanic's company, or Solid Quality Mentors, offering the training as well.

• I have signed up for one of the sqlskills trainings for next year and look forward to it. I am doing it more for the knowledge and less for the certification. Most training places offer you a certificate authorised by MS stating you completed one of their training as long as MS approves the material used, they might be doing that for this also, not sure. The problem with 'pre MCM'..title is that the trainings can be pre MCM but do not have to be, sqlskills site states clearly that it is also for those seeking more expertise and knowledge. Personally I find that great, am more interested in the knowledge than in the certification. But if we want more things like pre MCM cert we certainly discuss and provide them feedback.

Viewing 13 posts - 301 through 312 (of 312 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply