Matrix Report Header Rows

• Is there any way to add insert a Header Row to a Matrix? I need to visually group and label a number of fields like shown below. (The row with Housing | Income ... is the header I wish to insert.)

| 2001 Census | 2002 Census |

+---------------------------------------+---------------------------------------+

| Housing | Income | Housing | Income |

+-----------------------+---------------+-----------------------+---------------+

| Owners |Renters|Median|Avg HH| Per Cap| Owners |Renters|Median|Avg HH| Per Cap|

| | | Price|Income| Income | | | Price|Income| Income |

---+--------+-------+------+------+--------+--------+-------+------+------+--------+

FL | | | | | | | | | | |

The first 3 fields are Housing related and next 2 are Income related. For a tabular report, Biz Intel Design Studio shows Insert Row Before/After when the header is right clicked, but for matrix reports, only Add Column/Row Group is offered.

Also, is there any way to add labels to the matrix corner. I want to add a label above the "row" columns (State in the above example) and a label to the left of each matrix header rows (Year and Category in the above example).

• I don't know the answer to the first question, but as for adding labels to the matrix corner: put a rectangle in the corner, and then add text boxes for each of the headers. You may have to play around with the alignment a little bit, but it has worked for me.

-Marianne

• Thanks cuz. The empty corner was one my users' biggest gripes!

• My pleasure! I've learned so much from these forums, so it's nice to be able to help out someone else.

-Marianne

• I am not sure what your issue is wrt the Census and the "housing/income" groups. I would have thought that adding a column group would do exactly what you are wanting to do.

• there is no data column that stores housing/income... those are just categories for the details fields of the matrix. thus "housing" and "income" are purely labels.

• If the data is not a column (or part of a column) then you simply cannot do it. You need to revisit you data source and add sufficient data to the recordset you are using.

• Just add a field to your data source. Assuming SQL (there's a similiar approach for MDX):

newField as Case Type

when 'Owners' Then 'Housing'

when 'Renters' Then 'Housing'

when 'Mediam Price' Then 'Housing'

when 'Avg HH Income' Then 'Income'

when 'Per Cap Income' Then 'Income'

end

• Dave Balsillie (4/11/2008)

Just add a field to your data source. Assuming SQL (there's a similiar approach for MDX):

newField as Case Type

when 'Owners' Then 'Housing'

when 'Renters' Then 'Housing'

when 'Mediam Price' Then 'Housing'

when 'Avg HH Income' Then 'Income'

when 'Per Cap Income' Then 'Income'

end

Owners, Renters, MedianPrice, AvgHHIncome, PerCapIncome are columns not data values. The Housing/Income labels categorize the columns into the type of data they are presenting.

• Dave, your answer was very useful. Thanks

• Hello,

Sorry to bump this, but I have a related problem. I have two column groups in a matrix, and when I try to put a header in the corner section it always limits it to the top group. The multiple columns have, in effect, split the corner. I need to find a way to either add the header to the bottom group, or make the header cover the entire corner (as it would with a single group). At the moment I've got a nicely shaded and bordered matrix with a header that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Peter

• i don't quite follow you -- a screen shot would be helpful. in the meantime, you might want to try placing a rectangle in the corner. you can then put textboxes of desired widths in the rectangle.

• Hi,

This is a brief mock-up of the report (apologies for the horrible colour scheme and the blacked-out sensitive data!):

I have added the headers to the corner as a table header inside a rectangle. As you can see, it only uses the top column group (year), and the corner area for the month column group is blank.

• is this a 2005 matrix or a 2008 tablix report?

if a 2005 matrix, your rectangle should fill the entire corner. then just size your heading boxes to your desired widths and heights.

• It's a 2005 matrix.

I think the problem is that it has two column groups, which is different to having two columns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply