Mathematics/Algorithms in SQL

• All,

I am looking for some article which explain what are all the mathematics concepts and algorithms used in SQL.

karthik

• Such as?

Asking because I'm not sure I understand what you're after.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ar you asking about the underlying mathematics behind the relational model? If so, you could look for papers writen by Ted Codd in the early to mid 1970s. You may find that you have to pay to get copies of some of them.

Tom

• For the concepts of relational algebra that underly SQL, here is an overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relational_algebra

The mathematical operators and functions included in the T-SQL language are quite basic.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187716.aspx

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177516.aspx

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• OR... are you looking for things like why you might want to use Integer math, how to do things with dates and times, how to compare two differently partitioned ROW_NUMBER() results to identify overlapping events, the math behind quickly building high performance nested sets instead of using loops or recursion, why automatic conversions to decimal datatypes can suck, etc, etc?

In other words, what the hell does "all" mean in your original post? πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• karthik M - Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:36 AM

All,I am looking for some article which explain what are all the mathematics concepts and algorithms used in SQL.

Dude! It's been over a year since you posted this request... can you at least take the time to read the responses and provide some feedback?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 10:03 AM

karthik M - Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:36 AM

All,I am looking for some article which explain what are all the mathematics concepts and algorithms used in SQL.

Dude! It's been over a year since you posted this request... can you at least take the time to read the responses and provide some feedback?

Looks like an interesting question, would like to see feedback on what the OP wanted.

• HappyGeek - Monday, December 4, 2017 11:19 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 10:03 AM

Looks like an interesting question, would like to see feedback on what the OP wanted.

Precisely.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I know that this is an old question bumped back up to the front of the line but I agree that it's an important one. 

My two cents. With respect to the "mathematics concepts" I'd say to start with 
    Set Theory and The Relational Model.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 2:49 PM

HappyGeek - Monday, December 4, 2017 11:19 AM

Precisely.

He hasn't been active in four months, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:23 PM

Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 2:49 PM

HappyGeek - Monday, December 4, 2017 11:19 AM

Precisely.

He hasn't been active in four months, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a response.

Drew

Heh... too bad... I was hoping to hold HIS breath. πŸ˜‰  Pork chops, anyone? πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Alan.B - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:07 PM

I know that this is an old question bumped back up to the front of the line but I agree that it's an important one. 

Heh... we should definitely do one on "Tuples" as they relate to "Set Theory"... maybe Microsoft will take the hint and finally add an "element ordinal" to the String_Split function.

As for "Relational Model", I'm just happy there are some people out there that know how to get the current date and time using -T-SQL. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 5:17 PM

Alan.B - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:07 PM

I know that this is an old question bumped back up to the front of the line but I agree that it's an important one. 

Heh... we should definitely do one on "Tuples" as they relate to "Set Theory"... maybe Microsoft will take the hint and finally add an "element ordinal" to the String_Split function.

As for "Relational Model", I'm just happy there are some people out there that know how to get the current date and time using -T-SQL. πŸ˜‰

The "Relational Model" - which Airfix kit to give to which nephew at Christmas??

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work - Tuesday, December 5, 2017 12:49 AM

Jeff Moden - Monday, December 4, 2017 5:17 PM

Alan.B - Monday, December 4, 2017 3:07 PM

The "Relational Model" - which Airfix kit to give to which nephew at Christmas??

The answer is "none".  Keep them for yourself... they're fun to build. πŸ˜‰  If they know the GETDATE() question, buy them a laptop instead. πŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Since we're already derailing...

How many people have seen the James May Toy Stories where they build Airfix?

If not, you should. It's fantastic. I think it's available on Hulu right now (or Netflix, but I'm pretty sure it's Hulu).

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply