Master/target servers

• Thought this was a really neat idea when I first saw it. However the jobs all run based on the target server time. I want them to run it at the same time based on the master's time. I administer about 50 SQL servers in the company all round the world in different time zones and have certain "check in" jobs I like them to run when I am due on line of a morning. At the moment I create the job on each server and manually configure the schedule to achieve this. So would be good to have the option to use master time or their own time for a job. As you can imagine I dread time zone daylight saving hours kicking in and out and changing the schedules, especially Sao Paulo which seems to vary year to year 🙂

Best

Lawrence

• Your best bet might be to NOT include a schedule in your MSX/TSX job. Instead, create a LOCAL job on your MSX that runs at the time you want the MSX/TSX job to run. The job would look like

sp_post_msx_operation

@operation='START',

@job_id = <job_id for MSX/TSX job>

Note it must be ran from the MSDB database. All of your TSXs should then run the MSX/TSX job at nearly the same time. The variance should be equal to your polling interval.

Dan Skutt

• You could also create differents master jobs grouped according to the time zone, and add different target servers.

This is what I did with my 74 target servers replication jobs.

• I really like racosta's solution.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply