Mastering SQL Server Profiler - Part 6: Creating Custom Traces

• Great series! I use Profiler often and it's nice to know I'm doing some things right, and I even learned a few new things.

• Thanks Brad well done.

I use profiler infrequently, but I did know most of what was in lessons 1 - 5.

However a review doesn't hurt when you don't use the tool frequently.

Lesion 6 was very helpful and I like the fact that you can select only the

parts of the lesions that are of interest.

The standard templates seem to capture too must data, so custom templates that target just what you need would very useful. I liked the one you did for applications and will probably recreate it for tracing applications. Are there any other targeted templates available?

• JStiney (5/22/2009)

The standard templates seem to capture too must data, so custom templates that target just what you need would very useful. I liked the one you did for applications and will probably recreate it for tracing applications. Are there any other targeted templates available?

I have some 2008 Profiler templates I have developed for special circumstances, but in most cases, you will probably want to do your own, as each environment is different, as are the needs of the DBA.

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• I have been using profiler for a while, but still learned a couple of new tricks by watching these videos. Looking forward to more like this on other topics. Thank you!

• Very enjoyable video. The image quality and sound is more than good, the thoroughness of the presentation was also appreciated, and I can only hope for further videos on sql topics.

Barkingdog

• I really enjoyed the Videos of becoming a SQL Sever Profiler Master. It is really getting me started.

Thanks again

• Hi Brad, Training provided was really superbbbbbbbbb.I enjoyed it and learned it in one goo...

Many Thanks for giving wonderful training video.Hope to see more training video in future..

Regards,

Subhash Valla

• Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully, I'll have time to do more, but producing these videos is very time consuming.

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• Hi Brad,

Could you please add some more videos regarding the SQL Database Recovery process and SQL Jobs?

Thanks in advance,

Subhash Valla

• Subhash,

I'll forward these requests on.

Cheers,

Brad

Brad M. McGehee
    DBA

• Hi Brad,

Thanks for your prompt response.I will be waiting for your videos then.

Thank you very much Brad.

Best Regards,

Subhash Valla

• Hello,

very nice presentation for the persons that are starting to learn sql server , great !

Just 2 small hints/comments :

1. To create / save a trace template you don't need to run and stop a trace . Just have to choose in profiler File -> Templates -> New Template

But well, yes if the trace is already busy you can save it the way you presented

2. In Event selection part , you don't have to deselect each box of a column for an event, you can do it for complete column, just have to right click on top - on column name and then you can "select" or "deselect" entire column - can save time 😉 )

cheers

Nona

• Thank You Brad it is an amazing video... Please can we have more videos of DBA stuff....

• Great tutorials Brad. Explaining staff very weel and it's pleasure to watch them.

• Great tutorials Brad. Explaining staff very weel and it's pleasure to watch them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply