Maintenance Window for SQL Server Critical Alerts

• Hello,

We had some sql server have issues on some production servers.  We actually didn't know about some situations until users emailed us with issues.  Therefore, our DBA team decided to implement SQL Server Critical Alerts.  This way we can see things as they happen and resolve issues before the users notify us.  Works great.

The problem is that we patch and reboot our servers each month.  This produces a ton of alerts.

is there a way to create a maintenance window for SQL Server critical alerts?

Thanks.

Things will work out.  Get back up, change some parameters and recode.

• WebTechie wrote:

Hello,

We had some sql server have issues on some production servers.  We actually didn't know about some situations until users emailed us with issues.  Therefore, our DBA team decided to implement SQL Server Critical Alerts.  This way we can see things as they happen and resolve issues before the users notify us.  Works great.

The problem is that we patch and reboot our servers each month.  This produces a ton of alerts.

is there a way to create a maintenance window for SQL Server critical alerts?

Thanks.

You can buy a tool, if your management ready to spend money. OR

You can design a own CMS  database and build a alert scripting.

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• We have SentryOne.  I have created a maintenance window within SentryOne.

But this is native SQL Server alerts.  I'm not sure how to create a maintenance window for those.

• Then you need to disable those alert in SSMS before doing any activity.

• Thanks, but I was afraid of that.

We have over 30 servers that have critical alerts implemented.  That would be disabling six alerts per server.

That is a lot to do each month.  I need to think of an easier way to prep for patching.

• You can write SP by linked server to disable from one server. OR

use this in fly dynamic script

SELECT 'Exec msdb.dbo.sp_update_alert @name='''+name+''',@enabled=0'FROM msdb.dbo.sysalertsWHERE enabled =1

• On each of my servers, we have a "utilities" database that contains the various tables, procs, etc. used by the DBA.

In that database, there is a Calendar table.  There are columns for the patching dates for each environment.

Our patch window is 3 AM to 8 AM on Saturdays.  At 2:45 AM, every server queries this table, and if the data is flagged for that date, it then disables all alerts.  At 8 am, it blindly re-enables all disabled alerts regardless of the date.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Heh... I just let the alerts fly... it's a great monthly test/confirmation for the alerts and the jobs that some of them run.  The auditors love it because it shows that we have an "active test plan to ensure the viability of the servers".  😀 😀 😀  It's actually really important to me for backups.  If the target box where the backups are stored cannot be reached, I want an instant alert for every file that fails right the hell now!  Think of it as a "test of the Emergency Broadcast System".  It's a bit annoying when it happens but is absolute confirmation that everything worked as expected.

As we used to say in the Navy... "It works fine, fails safe, and drains to the bilge".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply