Losing changes made after RDL upload

• So, we use a 4 stage environment here. Dev/QA/UAT/Prod.

Standard routine. Develop the report in VS2k8, upload the RDL at dev. Maybe make some changes, like disabling defaults, adding in a description, little things like that.

Administrator goes in, downloads the RDL to migrate it up to the next level.

Only the base RDL that I uploaded initially moves. All modifications are lost. I can't find anything that points me in the right direction to have the download grab the modified version. I'd rather not have to redeploy from the rdl file every little time I adjust a default for the end users. Some things are just easier in the administration interface, and those minor things can add up to a bunch of things over time.

What are we missing here? This seems horribly inaccurate. I can't believe that people aren't up in pitchforks about this if this was standard results and my google-fu is failing me in locating the fix.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• This may or may not help but SSRS stores the RDL as is when you deploy it. This includes the description and the parameter values as defined when the report was designed. During the deployment process, select parts of the RDL are extracted from the RDL and stored separately. This is what you are changing when you update the description and parameters in the browser.

When you download the RDL, the original RDL is still available in SSRS and this is what is being downloaded.

So, what you are seeing as a problem is actually expected behaviour - it is how the product was designed to operate.

Instead of using the Download function, how about using the RS utility. This should be able to do what you need. Have a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn531017.aspx - it may get you most of the way there.

• Thanks Happycat. I'll take a look.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply