Looking Forward to 2019

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Looking Forward to 2019

• Wow, one book a month for a whole year!? Yes, I like that plan, and in theory, it should be doable - I have always been a diligent reader.
    In practice, however, I am the guy who constantly has 5 - 10 books floating around various places in the house, most of them tech, with a bookmark in each of them! :hehe:

• Remember that chapter summaries of books make great blog posts 🙂

412-977-3526 call/text

• Certainly think that 2019 is probably the year I start looking at my career. It's quite a big step for me, as where I'm working now is where I truly started my career in IT/SQL Server, and I have a great group of friends and colleagues here. However, progression has certainly come to a stop recently, and I'm far too young to be complacent about not furthering my career.

Honestly, my first step for 2019 is probably contacting an Agency and getting advice on writing an IT based CV. I probably haven't written a CV in 10 years either, and back then it was Retail based, so I've literally no idea where to start. January i can use to brush up on how to write one, and a accompanying letter, and hopefully get the confidence to get some interviews. Your statement about "often just accepting the first [job] offer we get" is actually a very true Steve, and I thank you for reminding me that I should be interviewing the companies I go to. Finding a company that not only has options for progressions, but is up to date as well. I doubt I'd accept a job from a company using SQL Server 2008 still, and I'd love to be working somewhere where I can take advantage of SQL Server 2016+. Working with old tech doesn't help with progression as much, as we can't use the more modern tools that we read about and think "That would work wonders here!".

Not going to lie though, 2019 scares (is that the right word?) me quite a bit with Brexit on the horizon. Without trying to turn this topic political, Brexit is not in a good position at the moment; with no deal looking very likely, which is probably a worst case scenario. I get the idea that Britain could be a very different place to live as the year progresses. A bad Brexit is most definitely going to affect things like wages, and redundancies, and if you've just changed job you're far more likely to be in the firing line.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thomas Hütter - Friday, December 28, 2018 5:06 AM

Wow, one book a month for a whole year!? Yes, I like that plan, and in theory, it should be doable - I have always been a diligent reader.
    In practice, however, I am the guy who constantly has 5 - 10 books floating around various places in the house, most of them tech, with a bookmark in each of them! :hehe:

We'll see. I tend to read about 60-70 fictional items a year, but 1 tech book a month is a lot. I've kicked it off, so we'll see how it goes. I think 6 would be a success

• Thom A - Friday, December 28, 2018 6:23 AM

Certainly think that 2019 is probably the year I start looking at my career. It's quite a big step for me, as where I'm working now is where I truly started my career in IT/SQL Server, and I have a great group of friends and colleagues here. However, progression has certainly come to a stop recently, and I'm far too young to be complacent about not furthering my career.

Honestly, my first step for 2019 is probably contacting an Agency and getting advice on writing an IT based CV. I probably haven't written a CV in 10 years either, and back then it was Retail based, so I've literally no idea where to start. January i can use to brush up on how to write one, and a accompanying letter, and hopefully get the confidence to get some interviews. Your statement about "often just accepting the first [job] offer we get" is actually a very true Steve, and I thank you for reminding me that I should be interviewing the companies I go to. Finding a company that not only has options for progressions, but is up to date as well. I doubt I'd accept a job from a company using SQL Server 2008 still, and I'd love to be working somewhere where I can take advantage of SQL Server 2016+. Working with old tech doesn't help with progression as much, as we can't use the more modern tools that we read about and think "That would work wonders here!".

Not going to lie though, 2019 scares (is that the right word?) me quite a bit with Brexit on the horizon. Without trying to turn this topic political, Brexit is not in a good position at the moment; with no deal looking very likely, which is probably a worst case scenario. I get the idea that Britain could be a very different place to live as the year progresses. A bad Brexit is most definitely going to affect things like wages, and redundancies, and if you've just changed job you're far more likely to be in the firing line.

I was unemployed during the 1980s , and struggled with a young family in the 1990s with 15% mortgage rates - Brexit is going to be nothing like either - I'm getting pretty tired of the "news" media scaring people either for ideological reasons or to generate clickbait - April 2019 will be no different from March 2019 and if there is any shortages it will be because of unnecessary panic buying and if I was going to be worried about redundancy then I would look to the US-China Tariff conflict rather than Brexit

• Love this, Steve! Too much of my career has been just taking whatever comes my way. I've taken to heart your admonition to manage your own career. I doubt most employers are interested in managing it for you. The idea you're introducing here of writing it down, so you can measure your progress, is very good! Thank you for suggesting it!

Rod

• Doctor Who 2 - Friday, December 28, 2018 9:32 AM

Love this, Steve! Too much of my career has been just taking whatever comes my way. I've taken to heart your admonition to manage your own career. I doubt most employers are interested in managing it for you. The idea you're introducing here of writing it down, so you can measure your progress, is very good! Thank you for suggesting it!

You are welcome and best of luck moving your career forward.

• Geoff.Sturdy - Friday, December 28, 2018 8:14 AM

I was unemployed during the 1980s , and struggled with a young family in the 1990s with 15% mortgage rates - Brexit is going to be nothing like either - I'm getting pretty tired of the "news" media scaring people either for ideological reasons or to generate clickbait - April 2019 will be no different from March 2019 and if there is any shortages it will be because of unnecessary panic buying and if I was going to be worried about redundancy then I would look to the US-China Tariff conflict rather than Brexit

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting things to change overnight. I very much doubt that April will be any different to March. If things go "South" they're far more likely to shape the end of the year, and the years after. But like I said, let's not get political; personally I'm bored of Brexit ("news") as much as the next person. 🙂

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• 2019?

More design and coding, less meetings and admin. More OSS, less commercial software. Less sitting and more hikes. More math, less television.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply