Looking For third party Tools.....

• Jerry Inman (9/26/2014)

I used RedGate at a previous job (Kennedy Space Center), but chose Idera products for my current place of employment (Healthcare company). Price and features were the primary factors in the decision to purchase, but after 7 years, I'm very pleased with their products and support. We are currently running SQLsafe on about 40 instances, ranging from 30GB to 800GB. It is highly dependable and faster than native, with more compression--even with encryption enabled.

Excellent. Thanks, Jerry. Have you noticed anything on the downside?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jerry Inman (9/26/2014)

Are you referring to the SQLsafe backup agent, running on the client? It does seem to leak a little, over time, but mine usually stay between 150 and 500 MB. A quick restart of the SQLsafe agent service, if the instance doesn't get regular reboots, will usually clear that up.

Yep, it's the SQLsafe Agent. Shouldn't have to restart the service though.

• The only downside I've experienced, stems from the way I stage my backups. Most of my SQL servers backup directly to dedicated server/repository, which then is backed up nightly, via TSM. Therefore, my SQLsafe policy is set to retain backups for only one day. If I need to restore a full backup that is more than a day old, I simply restore the file from TSM, then restore the database by selecting the file. The problem occurs when I want to use the Idera repository to automatically chain log backups for a point-in-time restore for files that have been deleted by policy, the files are no longer considered available to the repository--even though I've restored them to the original location.

This is not a common event in my environment, so my work-around is a script to flip the deleted flag in the SQLsafe repository. Otherwise, I would consider restructuring my process to keep my days in the repository.

• The only product I can recommend against is CommVault. It is labrynthian, sensitive, expensive, and unforgiving. Sort of like divorce, except there's no freedom at the end of the tunnel; just more CommVault.

• I would recommend LiteSpeed for SQL Server for Backup and Recovery.

Tried and Tested to be one of the Best. 🙂

• We are using LiteSpeed for backup compression and restore) and Foglight (with performance analysis add-on) for Performance Analysis. So far are quite happy with both tools.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply