Logshipping is not working.

• Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (9/8/2012)

but for that to work there must be no new full backup since Log Shipping was started.

This is not completely true!

opc.three (9/9/2012)

If the sequence had gone...

- setup log shipping

- LS backup job plus some other backup process took a log backup

- log shipping broke

- scheduled job or something else took a new FULL backup

...then a differential backup would not have helped in this case.

Correct, if the full backup occurs after the LS plan broke you'll need to re initialise

In my test i ran the following

• 09:05am Configure LS via GUI allowing wizard to init the database via full backup
    • 09:06am LS tran backups start
    • 09:15am Take a full backup of primary
    • 09:21am This LS backup file deleted to break LS
    • 09:28am LS restore job fails
    • 09:29am Take differential backup
    • 09:30am Apply diff to secondary
    • Resume LS jobs successfully

Since you'll likely run LS with backup, copy and restores frequently during the day this would not be the same for full backups. Hence in most situations you can easily resume a broken LS plan via a differential backup from the primary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (9/10/2012)

Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (9/8/2012)

but for that to work there must be no new full backup since Log Shipping was started.

This is not completely true!

opc.three (9/9/2012)

If the sequence had gone...

- setup log shipping

- LS backup job plus some other backup process took a log backup

- log shipping broke

- scheduled job or something else took a new FULL backup

...then a differential backup would not have helped in this case.

Correct, if the full backup occurs after the LS plan broke you'll need to re initialise

In my test i ran the following

• 09:05am Configure LS via GUI allowing wizard to init the database via full backup
    • 09:06am LS tran backups start
    • 09:15am Take a full backup of primary
    • 09:21am This LS backup file deleted to break LS
    • 09:28am LS restore job fails
    • 09:29am Take differential backup
    • 09:30am Apply diff to secondary
    • Resume LS jobs successfully

Since you'll likely run LS with backup, copy and restores frequently during the this would not be the same for full backups. Hence in most situations you can easily resume a broken LS plan via a differential backup from the primary.

As I have been trying to say (unsuccesfully) it all depends when the LS broke and which backups have been taken. If the TL backups covered tha changes, then yes a Diff backup may help otherwise, reinitialize would be the way to go.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345448(v=sql.90).aspx

• For details of how a diff resumes an LS plan see the start of my article at this link

Humble pie anyone?????????? 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (9/13/2012)

For details of how a diff resumes an LS plan see the start of my article at this link

Perry, I am quite certain from his comments that Ignacio understands the process. I think you are taking the wording "no new full backup since Log Shipping was started" instead of the intent "no new full backup since Log Shipping was broken." The good news I think is that everyone agrees on the technical details 🙂

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (9/13/2012)

Perry Whittle (9/13/2012)

For details of how a diff resumes an LS plan see the start of my article at this link

Perry, I am quite certain from his comments that Ignacio understands the process. I think you are taking the wording "no new full backup since Log Shipping was started" instead of the intent "no new full backup since Log Shipping was broken." The good news I think is that everyone agrees on the technical details 🙂

First of all I would like to thank you opc, but Perry understood right. I though that when a full backup was taken after the Log Shipping had been initiated there was not possible to get the database working with the differential and I was wrong. I must than Perry for taking the time to explain me this proces and providing me with his article about how it works. It took me sometime to reply because I have been really busy at work an even after reading Perry's article I wanted to test it myself. After testing it I can confirm that I was wrong, but thanks to Perry I now know how this must be. I don't like to provide information that I have not check myself in the forums and also don't like to start a discussion, because it may confuse other people.

Just to make it clear, as long as no new full backup has been taken after log shipping has been broken, it will be possible to fixed the problem with a differential backup.

• No problem. These dang written words. I thought for sure you had it after this comment:

As I have been trying to say (unsuccesfully) it all depends when the LS broke and which backups have been taken. If the TL backups covered tha changes, then yes a Diff backup may help otherwise, reinitialize would be the way to go.

But now I am sure we are all on the same page 🙂

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (9/26/2012)

No problem. These dang written words. I thought for sure you had it after this comment:

But now I am sure we are all on the same page 🙂

Agree! Perry's article will be publish soon, to clarify any doubts. Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply