login through machine name

• Can user login to SQL Server using machine name instead of user login ID? I can create login with us\machinename$ but cannot get into SQL Server.

• tariq (8/1/2016)

Can user login to SQL Server using machine name instead of user login ID? I can create login with us\machinename$ but cannot get into SQL Server.

I seriously consider never ever doing that. If someone screws something up, there's no traceability. Further, the login for the machine frequently has more privs than even a DBA with sysadmin privs. This is a terrible idea all the way around especially since users should only have privs to connect and run stored procedures that they can't even see.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• tariq (8/1/2016)

Can user login to SQL Server using machine name instead of user login ID?

No. You need a login name and password, or a valid windows authentication token for a windows login that's got login rights to SQL.

I can create login with us\machinename$ but cannot get into SQL Server.

That's the account for machinename\local system, used if you have services running on that machine running as local system (which is not a good thing to do)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you guys for your help. I wont go that route.

• GilaMonster (8/2/2016)

That's the account for machinename\local system, used if you have services running on that machine running as local system (which is not a good thing to do)

It's actually the computers object account within directory services which is impersonated by localsystem or networkservice accounts when accessing the network.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (8/2/2016)

GilaMonster (8/2/2016)

It's actually the computers object account within directory services which is impersonated by localsystem or networkservice accounts when accessing the network.

Thanks for the clarification.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply