Logical processors

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/21/2016)

Apologies for the wrong checkbox. I thought I had set this correctly, but I may have clicked the wrong answer item.

Points have been awarded back to this time.

Thank You!

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• Thanks for the question, Igor!

I learned something.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Hi Igor,

thx for the interesting question. Do you have any thoughts on how hyperthreading relates to licensing?

Regards

Thierry

• thierry.vandurme (9/21/2016)

Hi Igor,

thx for the interesting question. Do you have any thoughts on how hyperthreading relates to licensing?

Regards

Thierry

Hi,

Hyper-threading has nothing in relation with the licensing. You're paying per core always.

Hyper-threading doubles the logical processors on your server, which for some environments could bring better performance.

• So what's the right answer? According to today's mail, is 16 logical processors. I'm confused now.

• Mauricio_ (9/22/2016)

So what's the right answer? According to today's mail, is 16 logical processors. I'm confused now.

The correct answer is 24 logical processors. Sorry for the mistake.

• Thx!

• I have certainly learnt something today. I don't know much about processors on different editions and don't even mention licencing. These are the areas where I am not jealous of you DBAs.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Thanks Igor.

• If the correct answer is 24 logical processors, the newsletter is incorrect.

• Toni-256719 (9/22/2016)

If the correct answer is 24 logical processors, the newsletter is incorrect.

Imagine that, you'd think they'd have corrected the e-mail they'd already sent out when they corrected the question on the website, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

• paul.knibbs (9/22/2016)

Toni-256719 (9/22/2016)

If the correct answer is 24 logical processors, the newsletter is incorrect.

Imagine that, you'd think they'd have corrected the e-mail they'd already sent out when they corrected the question on the website, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

Wow, awfully early to be that snarky.

Thank you for pointing out that the question had been corrected rather recently. I didn't realize that.

• Oh well...

• I got it wrong, so I got a bit surprised when the mail said that I was actually right... That's life. 🙂

Thanks, Igor!

• Interesting question.

There is a rather odd statement in the explanation: "Hyperthreading does not affect licensing limits". That's not correct. Hyperthreading doess affect licensing limits on a virtual machine, if this question had been about running on a VM instead of directly on a physical machine the limit would have been reduced from 24 logical processors (12 cores) to 16 logical processors (8 cores) since the question states that hyperthreading is switched on: so having hyperthreading would reduce the licensing limit.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply