Logged Operations

• For the record, I missed this one too.

I also found SanDroid and his arguments most interesting, if not totally off in left field somewhere. It is annoying when an individual refuses to support his position with demonstratable facts.

• I'll be waiting for next week's question. I hope I can learn as much as I learned from this one. 🙂

• IMHO, he didn't get the answer he wanted; he interpreted it the way he wanted to in order to make himself feel better.

I suspect that you are right.

Also, I didn't like his manner of persistence at all, especially the rather offensive tone and content of some of his messages, for example

SanDroid (4/7/2011)

All I'm saying now is I don't see an link to doumentation in your post, so you must just be posting to flame.

Please do so off topic in a private message.

addressed to Stefan.

Persistence is fine, rudeness is not.

I'm agree with you Tom, "Persistence is fine, rudeness is not", but then again I'm honestly think that SanDroid's intention was not to be rude, I think if there was something, it was his eagerness and focus on his point and I also suspect he was wanted to understand the question. Sometimes I do the same (not in forums!):-D.

One last thing I will like to mention, it is really nice to see how eager we are to clarify things, that is why I'm so proud to be part of this community!

• SanDroid also sent me some inane private messages. Somehow, me not quoting "who guards the guards" in Latin (I wrote it in English) was wrong, referencing Plato in response to that concept was wrong because he asked a professor a different question than that and got a disrelated answer to that disrelated question, and pointing out that analogies are a teaching method somehow makes me an a**, and also somehow proves that I have never watched Monty Python. I probably missed a few points in there on all that, but it was more than a little incoherent, so I really can't be sure.

It was all quite non-sequitur and more than a little confusing. He also answered each of my responses to him twice, with different messages in each response. I'm not sure what that was about, but it did add to the confusion, so maybe that was the purpose.

Oh, and somehow me not watching Monty Python (I can quote the Quest for the Holy Grail line-by-line, and almost that on Life of Brian, but somehow he has proof I've never watched them), makes his answer on this question right.

Very strange fellow. That's all I can really conclude.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (4/8/2011)

SanDroid also sent me some inane private messages. Somehow, me not quoting "who guards the guards" in Latin (I wrote it in English) was wrong, referencing Plato in response to that concept was wrong because he asked a professor a different question than that and got a disrelated answer to that disrelated question, and pointing out that analogies are a teaching method somehow makes me an a**, and also somehow proves that I have never watched Monty Python. I probably missed a few points in there on all that, but it was more than a little incoherent, so I really can't be sure.

It was all quite non-sequitur and more than a little confusing. He also answered each of my responses to him twice, with different messages in each response. I'm not sure what that was about, but it did add to the confusion, so maybe that was the purpose.

Oh, and somehow me not watching Monty Python (I can quote the Quest for the Holy Grail line-by-line, and almost that on Life of Brian, but somehow he has proof I've never watched them), makes his answer on this question right.

Very strange fellow. That's all I can really conclude.

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one he sent private messages to.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Today I was reading Brent Ozar's blog and as always it was excellent. For those of you that have the time I'll recommended check http://www.brentozar.com/archive/2011/04/monday-meme-eleven-word-blog-post/. For some reason Brent's post remind me of this.

• Nice question, thanks!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Umm - there are TWO correct answers listed for this question (as described in the explanation), but only ONE can be selected. i.e.:

- Inserts into Table Variables are not logged

- Version Store is not logged

...and you only get points for the second of these answers...

• Piquet (4/12/2011)

Umm - there are TWO correct answers listed for this question (as described in the explanation), but only ONE can be selected. i.e.:

Inserts into table variables are logged. The explanation reads:

1. Insert (and update/delete) statements into table variables are logged - see "Changes to Table Variables are not logged" at http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/10/12/a-trio-of-table-variables%5B/quote%5D

The blog post addresses three myths around table variables, including the myth that the changes aren't logged, sand proves them wrong.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/12/2011)

Piquet (4/12/2011)

Umm - there are TWO correct answers listed for this question (as described in the explanation), but only ONE can be selected. i.e.:

1. Insert (and update/delete) statements into table variables are logged - see "Changes to Table Variables are not logged" at http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2010/10/12/a-trio-of-table-variables%5B/quote%5D

The blog post addresses three myths around table variables, including the myth that the changes aren't logged, sand proves them wrong.

Gila, As I see you and others have noticed, there are several things wrong with the question and answer. You should contact WayneS directly. The day of the question, it seems, he thought I was the only one that noticed.

• Lynn Pettis (4/7/2011)

For the record, I missed this one too.

I also found SanDroid and his arguments most interesting, if not totally off in left field somewhere. It is annoying when an individual refuses to support his position with demonstratable facts.

Strange, that was my position on the question.

What demonstrable fact would you like me to post that shows the lack of support for the correct answers listed in the reference material provided?

If you get asked crazy, about crazy, what do you respond with?

Maybe you did not understand why certain posts where even made.

Many were just responses to people that were not even trying to understand what the original objections about the QOTD was.

Someone misread something I posted, could be due to a typo made, and then I prove this in code. What they asked for had nothing to do with what I wanted to know about.

• WayneS (4/7/2011)

IMHO, he didn't get the answer he wanted; he interpreted it the way he wanted to in order to make himself feel better.

Wayne, you are right. I really wanted you to answer why you re-wrote the quote that came from your reference material as a correct answer.

I did settle for the author of your reference material also stating that the way you worded the answer was not well.

I also just focused on that and never asked any other questions (or got answers) that I had about your QOTD.

All of the errors, I thought, were cause by flaws in the QOTD submission process more than anything else. Until you told me that several people reviewed your question before submission.

• SanDroid (4/12/2011)

Lynn Pettis (4/7/2011)

For the record, I missed this one too.

Strange, that was my position on the question.

What demonstrable fact would you like me to post that shows the lack of support for the correct answers listed in the reference material provided?

If you get asked crazy, about crazy, what do you respond with?

Maybe you did not understand why certain posts where even made.

Many were just responses to people that were not even trying to understand what the original objections about the QOTD was.

Someone misread something I posted, could be due to a typo made, and then I prove this in code. What they asked for had nothing to do with what I wanted to know about.

Bottom line, your stating your interpretation of the support information isn't enough. Support your position with code, hard data from the DMV's, output from t-logs (yes, there is a way to read the logs). Post the code and your results. Posting the code allows others to verify your results, to experiment with other alternatives.

To paraphrase an old saying, "Code talks, BS walks."

• SanDroid (4/12/2011)

GilaMonster (4/12/2011)

Piquet (4/12/2011)

Gila, As I see you and others have noticed, there are several things wrong with the question and answer. You should contact WayneS directly. The day of the question, it seems, he thought I was the only one that noticed.

I noticed nothing wrong with the question or answer, nor have I implied as much anywhere in this thread. In fact you are the only person complaining. Piquet simply misread the explanation.

And, for the record, I spoke with Wayne extensively on this before it was posted.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (4/12/2011)

I noticed nothing wrong with the question or answer, nor have I implied as much anywhere in this thread. In fact you are the only person complaining. Piquet simply misread the explanation.

And, for the record, I spoke with Wayne extensively on this before it was posted.

Wow... I totally mis-read what you where saying. For some reason when I read it the first time I thought you were agreeing with his statement.

I apologize for not reading that more carefully before posting about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply