Log shipping error

• Yes , log backup is running @ 6:oo AM and full backup is running @8:00 PM

• So you're only taking one log backup a day right before your full backup? Then that "error message" you're getting makes sense, no?

• what is the solution for that , should i take full backup first and after that if i run log backup then that error message will come , and log shipping will also work fine

• should i stop the tape backup which has scheduled, or I need to change the backup schedule timing.

• I don't really understand your backup strategy. Why are you only backing up the log once a day? Did you switch recovery model to Full purely because you wanted to set up log-shipping? If you can explain a bit more about that it will be easier to know what to suggest.

• Yes , recovery model is Full, I have talked to my sysadmin, he doesnt have time slot so that he put backup stratgy like this.but i wanted to set log shipping . would it possible to set log shipping with same backup startgy. Please advise

• Ok, please answer every question as fully as possible;

1) why are you log-shipping at all? What are you hoping it will achieve for you (or is this purely experimental for your own knowledge)?

2) why are you only backing up the log once a day?

3) is this a production environment?

4) are you "the DBA" or is there another DBA on-site?

Thanks

• Hi, thanks for the reply,

1) I am giving you answer for your first question, log-shipping will help to decrease the disaster recovery. if production server will go down , user will sit odlw they can use secondary database.

2) I am not taking log backup. one more DBA is there he is taking , he asked , but he is finding time slot to run log backup frequently. for that one we are planning . we are just strtup comapny , so it will take some time to grow.

3) this one alredy included in 2nd question , please see the 2nd point.

4) this question , i have already given.

I have some doubt. please clarify.

1)by that time can we configure log-shipping in this environment, hence log backup is runing once in everyday.

2) shall i stop taking log backup , so that chain will not break.

• 2) I am not taking log backup. one more DBA is there he is taking , he asked , but he is finding time slot to run log backup frequently. for that one we are planning . we are just strtup comapny , so it will take some time to grow.

That's probably your problem right there, then. How often is he taking log backups (which are separate to the one you take)?

• oncein a everyday

• Ok, that is almost certainly why your log-shipping isn't working. Your first task (if you really want to set up log-shipping) is to get him to stop that completely. If you don't do that this won't work.

- Next (and this is just what I would do), go back to your log-shipping job on the Primary server, and reconfigure it from scratch. Just dump everything and start again. (It's not working anyway, so who cares, right?) This time configure all of the jobs (that's LSBackup, LSCopy and LSRestore) to run more frequently than once a day. How frequently depends on your environment and how much data is changed etc. Plucking a number out of the air, let's say every 15 minutes. Set your jobs to run every 15 minutes.

- When you've done that, run each job manually once and observe what happens. So on the primary, run LSBackup, go to Job History and check that is has completed properly.

- Then go to the secondary and run LSCopy. Wait for it to complete successfully. Go into your log-shipping folder and check that the log backup file is physically there.

- If all is good so far, run your LSRestore job manually once too. Check the Job History and see that your 1 log file has been restored successfully. Monitor the whole process for the first few hours (not continuously- just check it now and then).

All of the above will only work if you are taking no other log backups. If your DBA takes extra log backups separately this won't work. S/He won't even need to take any anyway because you are taking them every 15 minutes.

Does that make sense?

• Thanks Beatrix , I will follow the same. Thanks for your valuable time and helping me in this scenario.

• Good luck!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply