Locked Out!

• We had a password changed on the sa account and, upon reboot, the MSSQLSERVER service stopped working and gives a login error when attempting to start it. I've reset both PWs )sa & MSSLSERVER to no avail. Now I'm not even able to get logged in to the server instance, on the server. HELP!

• jackfh (7/12/2015)

We had a password changed on the sa account and, upon reboot, the MSSQLSERVER service stopped working and gives a login error when attempting to start it. I've reset both PWs )sa & MSSLSERVER to no avail. Now I'm not even able to get logged in to the server instance, on the server. HELP!

Quick thought, run the SQLServerManager11.msc, locate the SQL Server Services and in the Properties dialog for the instance (Log On Tab) check the Account and Password.

😎

• Unfortunately, that didn't show me anything I could work with. I can't see the password. I have a domain account running services. I reset the PW on that as well as sa, shouldn't that allow services to start?

Thanks for the thought.

• jackfh (7/12/2015)

Unfortunately, that didn't show me anything I could work with. I can't see the password. I have a domain account running services. I reset the PW on that as well as sa, shouldn't that allow services to start?

Thanks for the thought.

That should allow the service to run, if the SQL Server Service is running under a domain account, then changing the sa password should not affect that account's ability to start the service.

What is the exact error you get when you try to start the service?

😎

• "Error: 1068. The dependency service or group failed to start"

I found this in the error log from when this issue first started:

2015-07-02 00:00:31.01 spid15s The SQL Server Network Interface library could not deregister "the Service Principal Name (SPN) [ MSSQLSvc/AUASQL01.my.domain.com:1433 ] for the SQL Server service. Error: 0xffffffff, state: 63. Administrator should deregister this SPN manually to avoid client authentication errors."

..and I see how to fix that - now. But, I can't even get into the instance. I get this:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)"

But, I'm RDP'd into the server w/ a da account.

Is there any way to reset the security under which the services run?

• Irrelevant here. SQL's running as an NT Service login. Those don't have passwords that can expire and you never need to reset them.

What does the error log say when you try to start the service? (the whole thing, not one line that has nothing to do with the service not starting)

What does the Windows event log (application log) say?

https://www.simple-talk.com/sql/backup-and-recovery/the-sql-server-instance-that-will-not-start/

btw, 'sa' is a SQL login. You can't be logged in to RDP with that. You can be logged in with a local admin account, but that's a very different thing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • "Error: 1068, the service did not start due to a login failure"

"This service account does not have the required user right "Log on as a service."

When I go in to add the account, 'Add...' is greyed out, although I'm a local admin.

Really apreciate the help!

• Possibly group policy. Maybe chat with the domain admin?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I don't think that's it, our older prod instance appears to be configured the same way. I've tried logging in as domain admin and local admin.

• jackfh (7/13/2015)

I don't think that's it, our older prod instance appears to be configured the same way. I've tried logging in as domain admin and local admin.

Suggest you check if any other changes than the sa password change were made around that time.

😎

• There was a TrackIT DB added but that shouldn't have affected anything. I was able to get the sql.service started by updating the PW in 'services', which added the '...log on as a service' parameter. That got most of the needed services going and I can now get into the instance. Further, I was able to get the rest running this way as well.

I'm past the critical point, really apreciate the help. I'm looking forward to the point where I can actually speak authoritively on some of this!

Thanks!

• It's OK. We have all been there at one time or another!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply