Location Data Privacy

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Location Data Privacy

• From the Article: I can't quite think of why I dislike this, but I do.

I can... I bought and paid for a device for my personal use.  Any and all data from it should belong to me and I should be allowed to refuse its data to be used for anything and everything.  The problem is, billing... they "have" to keep track of minutes and any fees based on location along with phone numbers made in either direction.  The problem with that is that's precisely the information that allows misuse.

If you own a data device of any kind, you need to know that the data it produces belongs to someone else and, not only can they basically do what they need to with it, they can be compelled by others to release it.  Credit rating and credit card companies are other non-favorites of mine when it comes to all this.  I use cash whenever I can, which also means that I don't buy much on the internet.

Heh... and buyer beware if you buy a vehicle with something like "On Star" in it.  Even if you disable such a thing, a lot of vehicles have "black box 'system flight' recorders" in them that can be used for or agin you if there's an accident.  We won't even get into the cameras all over hell's little half acre.

You have to think "cheese" on all this... it's "na-cho" data anymore.  "Big Brother" is alive and well. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Yep. This is why I use a dumb phone. Less distraction and none of my data is being used. Wonderful.

Chris is the owner of several businesses including Best Barbershop in Surprse and Best Pool Cleaner in Scottsdale

• bestofphx wrote:

Yep. This is why I use a dumb phone. Less distraction and none of my data is being used. Wonderful.

Interesting.  What is the make and model of the dumb phone you use?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• bestofphx wrote:

Yep. This is why I use a dumb phone. Less distraction and none of my data is being used. Wonderful.

Bit of a misconception here, there is a lot of data that a provider can collect, even from a dump end-user device.

😎

• Even dumb phones broadcast connections to cell towers, and those can be used to triangulate your location pretty well. Not like GPS, but closer than most of us might like. Plus, they still get all call info.

I don't believe the carriers can capture data and store it to/from the device, nor would they, as this is a lot of data to store, but they can capture some amount of SMS/text traffic.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Even dumb phones broadcast connections to cell towers, and those can be used to triangulate your location pretty well. Not like GPS, but closer than most of us might like. Plus, they still get all call info.

I don't believe the carriers can capture data and store it to/from the device, nor would they, as this is a lot of data to store, but they can capture some amount of SMS/text traffic.

They can and they do store the data, down to a .wav file of the conversations, given the advances in NLP processes, that is as good as submitting a transcript of a call!

😎

One has to realise that every single call, that goes through an telephone exchange, can and will be recorded!

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Even dumb phones broadcast connections to cell towers, and those can be used to triangulate your location pretty well. Not like GPS, but closer than most of us might like. Plus, they still get all call info.

They can and they do store the data, down to a .wav file of the conversations, given the advances in NLP processes, that is as good as submitting a transcript of a call!

😎

One has to realise that every single call, that goes through a telephone exchange, can and will be recorded!

Typo correction

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

bestofphx wrote:

Bit of a misconception here, there is a lot of data that a provider can collect, even from a dump end-user device.

😎

To be honest, if you look at the signature line of this user, I think he's a "clever" spammer.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

bestofphx wrote:

😎

To be honest, if you look at the signature line of this user, I think he's a "clever" spammer.

I did notice an Arizona country-boy accent, a bit hard to tell from Tempe, Mesa and Phonix 😉

😎

• I can think of reasons why this data might be useful if sufficiently anonymized.  For example, COVID-19 was detected in an area.  Were there a lot of people passing through recently?  That information could be very important.

On the other hand, a disturbing use the exact same information without anonymization could be an insurance company turning someone down or quoting higher rates because he passed through an infected area.

Generally I don't like having my incidental behavior collected and sold.  What I buy at Amazon helps their recommendation engine and is directly relevant to my relationship there.  I'm okay with that.  Where I bring my phone has nothing to do with my relationship with an app vendor, unless the location is part of the app, like an online map.  It's creepy because it's happening in the background without your knowledge.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply