Loading XML Data into SQL Server (SQL Spackle)

• Hi,

i need to read the file in the internet to my SQL Server directly, like this:

-----------------------------------------

DECLARE @CD TABLE (XMLData XML);

INSERT INTO @CD

SELECT *

FROM OPENROWSET(BULK N'http://www.w3schools.com/XML/cd_catalog.xml', SINGLE_BLOB) rs;

INSERT INTO dbo.CD_Info (Title, Artist, Country, Company, Price, YearReleased)

SELECT Title = x.data.value('TITLE[1]','varchar(100)'),

Artist = x.data.value('ARTIST[1]','varchar(100)'),

Country = x.data.value('COUNTRY[1]','varchar(25)'),

Company = x.data.value('COMPANY[1]','varchar(100)'),

Price = x.data.value('PRICE[1]','numeric(5,2)'),

YearReleased = x.data.value('YEAR[1]','smallint')

FROM @CD t

CROSS APPLY t.XMLData.nodes('/CATALOG/CD') x(data);

----------------------------------

it is possible?

The article is perfect for me but I can not use the c:\doc.xml, I have to use the http://xxxxxxx.xxxx.xml

I have an ASP page that reads the XML directly from the Internet, but I do not want my clients to read directly from the Internet, I want to read from my SQL server.

---------------

the page is like this:

<%@ LANGUAGE="VBScript" CodePage ="1252" %>

<!--#include file="CnnInc.asp"-->

<html>

<head>

<title>teste</title>

</head>

<body>

<h1>Noticias from XML</h1>

<script language="JavaScript">

function trim(str, chars) {

return ltrim(rtrim(str, chars), chars);

}

function ltrim(str, chars) {

chars = chars || "\\s";

return str.replace(new RegExp("^[" + chars + "]+", "g"), "");

}

function rtrim(str, chars) {

chars = chars || "\\s";

return str.replace(new RegExp("[" + chars + "]+$", "g"), "");

}

function showhide(element){

var e=document.getElementById(element);

if (e.style.display == "block")

e.style.display = "none";

else

e.style.display = "block";

}

var xmlDoc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")

xmlDoc.async="false"

xmlDoc.load("http://www.jornaldenegocios.pt/funcionalidades/envio_terceros/index.php?.....user/password.....")

//xmlDoc.load("noticias2.xml")

nodes = xmlDoc.documentElement.childNodes

document.write(nodes.length + " noticias");

for (i=0;i<nodes.length;i++)

if (nodes.item(i).nodeType==1) {

nodes2 = nodes(i).childNodes

//if (trim(nodes2.item(1).text) == "Mercados" || trim(nodes2.item(1).text) == "Economia") {

document.write("<div class='noticia'><a href='#' onclick='showhide(\"noticia" + i + "\")'><strong> " + nodes2.item(1).text + "</strong> " + nodes2.item(2).text + "</a><br />")

document.write("<div id='noticia" + i + "' class='artigo' style='display: none;'>" + nodes2.item(3).text + "</div>")

document.write("</div>")

//}

}

</script>

</body>

</html>

---------------------------------------

• jorge_gomes98,

please open a separate thread for the issue you're struggling with.

The section you posted in should be realated to the article. More related than "it's an xml issue"....

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• To add a valuable resource, I suggest you watch the 10 videos (they are free for viewing online) on the link below:

http://mrbool.com/course/E-learning-XML-on-SQL-Server/260

• MrBool.US (10/17/2011)

To add a valuable resource, I suggest you watch the 10 videos (they are free for viewing online) on the link below:

http://mrbool.com/course/E-learning-XML-on-SQL-Server/260

Interesting set of videos.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• While it offers a very brief sample to get going fast it should at least list other alternatives since some of them are quite nice. Readers need to be aware of as many alternatives as possible since some technologies have size and performance limitations.

I load massive XML files with SQLXMLBulkload:

Just supply a connection string, a XSD and the XML file and you can load directly into any table.

and it even supports an error log should anything go wrong and you can control it from a client whether it be C# or just a simple VBS like below:

Dim objBL

set objBL = CreateObject("SQLXMLBulkLoad.SQLXMLBulkload.4.0")

objBL.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=dbo_Dfrndis;Password=abc1234;Initial Catalog=frndis;Data Source=sqldev"

objBL.ErrorLogFile = "C:\MSSQL\clients\INTLdist\CRD\XLT\error.xml"

objBL.Execute "CRD.xsd", "CRD20130429122127010074ToCRD-2013-05-01_02-59-43-PM.xml"

set objBL=Nothing

Sid

• even though u successfully loaded the raw xml into a table you still processed the data one row at a time. It is much better to use OPENXML and pivot the data.

example:

--TABLE TO HOLD THE RAW XML

DECLARE @tbl TABLE

(

ID INT, ParentID INT, NodeType INT, LocalName NVARCHAR(100), Prefix VARCHAR(50),

NameSpaceURI VARCHAR(50), DataType VARCHAR(50), Prev VARCHAR(50), [TEXT] NVARCHAR(200)

)

--xml in a variable of XML type that might be used in a proc or fnc

EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @docHandle OUTPUT,@ItemsXML;

INSERT INTO @tbl(

ID ,ParentID ,NodeType ,LocalName,Prefix ,NameSpaceURI ,DataType ,Prev ,[TEXT]

)

SELECT * FROM OPENXML(@docHandle, '/PackageRequests/ItemRequest',1)

EXEC sp_xml_removedocument @docHandle

;

WITH CTE_Ranked AS (

SELECT

T1.LocalName

,T2.Text

,NTILE(12) OVER (PARTITION BY T1.LocalName ORDER BY T1.ID) AS RNKING

--NTILE Count defined by counting the largest number of possible records for any one column

--this could easily be a variable

FROM @tbl T1

INNER JOIN @Tbl T2

ON T1.ID = T2.ParentID

WHERE T1.LocalName IN ('VndID','LocID')

),

CTE_PIVOT_SOURCE AS (

SELECT

CTE_Ranked0.LocalName AS RLN

,CTE_Ranked0.text AS RIV

,CTE_Ranked01.RNKING

FROM CTE_Ranked CTE_Ranked0

INNER JOIN CTE_Ranked CTE_Ranked01 ON CTE_Ranked01.RNKING = CTE_Ranked0.RNKING

)

SELECT VendorID,LocationID

FROM CTE_PIVOT_SOURCE

PIVOT (

MIN(RIV)

FOR RLN IN (VndID,LocID)

) AS PivotTable

• Responded to wrong post...

• This took all of five minutes to copy the code, test it out, and save it for future use.

The article was clear, simple, and short. The need to parse XML data is not uncommon for me, but it is infrequent. So instead of reinventing a solution, I may be able to save a few hours here and there by starting with your solution.

Thanks!

Jim Peters

• Nice Article! I first started working with XML and .Net web services about 10 years ago as a developer.

These days I wear a DBA hat and just had to write a load process for several XML interfaces. Wish I had seen this first! I found SSIS to be fairly limited and clunky compared to my earlier .Net experiences.

I settled on using the XML Source. I ended up writing a schema validation and XSLT piece to make the XML palatable for the XML Source object. XML Source wasn't very flexible, and certainly wasn't as fast as a bulk load.

• dg81328 (5/31/2013)

even though u successfully loaded the raw xml into a table you still processed the data one row at a time. It is much better to use OPENXML and pivot the data.

I'm not sure how you can say that so please explain. From what I can see, the methods in the article will allow you to handle multiple XML documents that are loaded into a table (@CD in the article is a table variable) without RBAR whereas the OPENXML document that you suggest can only handle one XML document at a time.

Further, and I admit that I haven't tested it, I suspect that code you posted will be slower because of the PIVOT.

Like I said, please explain your claims about why you think the use of OPENXML and a pivot provides any advantage of the method in the article because I'm just not seeing it and am always interested in better ways.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Great article. For those too young to know, Empire Burlesque was a towering collaboration between Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan that never really got the credit it deserved. That it was wrested back from obscurity into an odd new kind of limelight made the article all the more enjoyable!

...One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that ones work is terribly important.... Bertrand Russell

• Spam reported.

...One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that ones work is terribly important.... Bertrand Russell

• Jim, boumerlin - Thanks! I'm glad that you were able to add this solution to your toolbox.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• jcasement (5/31/2013)

While it offers a very brief sample to get going fast it should at least list other alternatives since some of them are quite nice. Readers need to be aware of as many alternatives as possible since some technologies have size and performance limitations.

I load massive XML files with SQLXMLBulkload:

Just supply a connection string, a XSD and the XML file and you can load directly into any table.

and it even supports an error log should anything go wrong and you can control it from a client whether it be C# or just a simple VBS like below:

Dim objBL

set objBL = CreateObject("SQLXMLBulkLoad.SQLXMLBulkload.4.0")

objBL.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=dbo_Dfrndis;Password=abc1234;Initial Catalog=frndis;Data Source=sqldev"

objBL.ErrorLogFile = "C:\MSSQL\clients\INTLdist\CRD\XLT\error.xml"

objBL.Execute "CRD.xsd", "CRD20130429122127010074ToCRD-2013-05-01_02-59-43-PM.xml"

set objBL=Nothing

Sid

What's the largest file you've loaded with it? And I hope the connection string you just posted doesn't actually contain valid login info.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thank you for sharing this wonderful post.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply