Linked server security: ogin failed for user ''sqllinked''. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection

• Hey everyone,

I know this same problem has been posted a couple of times & I read all of the threads but it doesn't seem that any of them were resolved.  At least the fix wasn't posted back.  Here is my setup.

server 1 win 2k3, SQL Server 2000 SP 4  MSDTC network connections enabled

server 2 win 2k, SQL Server 2000 SP 4

Both have mixed mode authentication enabled.  Both have a SqlLinked SQL Server login that has Sysadmin privileges.  Both are in the same domain.

I created a linked server on server 2 to server 1 using sp_Addlinkedserver.  I then mapped my windows NT login to the SqlLinked login using

sp_addlinkedsrvlogin 'Server1', false, 'windowsNt\User', 'sqllinked', 'userpassword'

When I run sp_helplinkedsrvlogin 'Server1' I get the following:

Server2 NULL 0 defaultuser

Server2 windowsnt\user 0 sqllinked

When I run any queries from Server1 to Server2 I get the error:

Msg 18452, Level 14, State 1, Line 1

Login failed for user 'sqllinked'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

What am I missing???  Any ideas???

Thanks!

John

• Sure your security mapping is set right?

if you login , what does

SELECT 'The current user is: '+ convert(char(30), CURRENT_USER)return?
  • No, I didn't try that because I never received any error messages issuing the statement the way I had it.  I would think that if there was an issue, it wouldn't have completed successfully, correct?

Thanks

John

• Are you using domain user accounts for the SQL Server Service and SQL Agent Service ? Are the accounts the sameon each server ? Are the service accounts set up with LocalAdministrator authority on their own respective SQL Servers ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Yes, I am using a domain account for the SQL Service & the SQL Agent Service.  The SQL Service account is a local administrator on both SQL Servers.  The SQL Agent Service is running with an domain admin account.

John

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply