Linked Server Issue - Oracle connection

• Afternoon all,

I have configured Oracle 11g client on our SQL servers and configured a linked server to connect to our oracle server ORACLE_SRV.

If I test the connection within the oracle tools - the test is successful

If I test the Linked server using the 'Test Connection' option in SSMS - the test is successful.

If however I expand the linked server down to the default catalogue and try to expand the table list I get the following error:

The OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "ORACLE_SRV" reported an error. Access denied.

Cannot obtain the required interface ("IID_IDBSchemaRowset") from OLE DB provider "OraOLEDB.Oracle" for linked server "ORACLE_SRV". (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

Does anyone know why I am getting an access denied issue?

I have verified the connection and password are correct.

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• I wrote an article on this topic some months ago.

There's a lot of permissions you have to grant to the SQL Server service user or interactive user in order to let the linked server work.

You can find it here:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Linked+Servers/73794/

Hope this helps

Gianluca

-- Gianluca Sartori

• thanks Gianluca - I'll take a look and let you know how I get on

_____________________________________________________________________________MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer (2005)

• Gianluca,

Thanks for the post. FYI the only change I needed to make was to the set 'Allow Inprocess' provider option for the OraOLEDB.Oracle provider under linked servers.

Thanks again.

• Glad you sorted it out.

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply