Linked Server Connectivity Issue - Error 7303

• Having intermittent connectivity issues with a linked server going from one Azure VM to another. Sometimes works, sometimes fails to connect. Getting both 7399 followed by 7303 error. Both server A and server B running 2019 enterprise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXEC sp_testlinkedserver

The OLE DB provider "SQLNCL11" for linked server "link server name" reported an error. The provider did not give any information about the error. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7399)

Cannot initialise the data source object of OLE DB provider "SQLNCL11" for linked server "Link server name". [ERRORSTATE 42000] (Error 7303)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At present it connects using a SQL login (which works as I can connect to the linked server using the login), so I don't think its the Kerberos double hop issue.

Servers listening on dynamic ports, which are in the firewall.

Again, this is intermittent, sometimes works - then for what seems to be no reason, starts to fail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• I've got nothing, but I figured you should at least know that someone was looking. Sorry.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks for replying

• Just to ask the question, the servers aren't set to automatically shut down for a part of the day, are they?

If not, you might want to make a call to the Azure help-desk... I have no idea what the link for that is.

When you do get a hold of them, I'd make sure you had a list of the times of days and dates of such problems.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply