Limit SQL to use only 1 cpu

• Is it possible to limit SQL to use only one cpu (one multi-core processor rather than both processors)? Will this affect licensing costs?

I know and understand performance will take a hit, but that is not a concern for this system. It will be very lightly used with few users and not much activity and can afford slower processing. The main reason why I ask is because our customer asked if this would help with SQL licensing costs as the project was not originally intended to have SQL. Also, if this is not kosher with MS licensing terms, let me know, and I will bring that to our customer letting him know this is not a good route to take.

Thanks for any help!

• jinx8402 (12/14/2009)

Is it possible to limit SQL to use only one cpu (one multi-core processor rather than both processors)? Will this affect licensing costs?

I know and understand performance will take a hit, but that is not a concern for this system. It will be very lightly used with few users and not much activity and can afford slower processing. The main reason why I ask is because our customer asked if this would help with SQL licensing costs as the project was not originally intended to have SQL. Also, if this is not kosher with MS licensing terms, let me know, and I will bring that to our customer letting him know this is not a good route to take.

Thanks for any help!

Yes it is possible and yes MS does offer a processor licensing model. MS charges per socket regardless of the number of cores. More information on licensing models is available here.

• You can limit SQL using the affinity mask, but AFAIK, this doesn't affect licnensing. If you have 2 CPU sockets filled in the machine you need to license both of them.

• Just FYI -

"

Q: What exactly is a processor license and how does it work?

A: If you have made a processor inaccessible to all operating system copies on which the SQL Server software is set up to run, you do not need a software license for that processor"

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/pricing-licensing-faq.aspx

In short, you would have to disable any sockets in which you have not purchased a license -or- physically pull them from the machine; both of which render the processor inaccessible to the OS.

• jinx8402 (12/14/2009)

Is it possible to limit SQL to use only one cpu (one multi-core processor rather than both processors)? Will this affect licensing costs?

Thanks for any help!

If it doesn't need some of the features of the Enterprise Edition, couldn't you just use the Express Edition which is... free?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'd agree with Express Edition as well. The main limitations on 2008 Express are that it can't use more than 1Gb of RAM, only uses 1 CPU, and your databases can't be larger than 4Gb--if this application is as light as you suggest, it ought to be fine for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply