LIKE and NULLs

• nice and easy..

• I have to be honest in that I cheated. Where is it documented that not using % assumes % at the end? I thought that this was a mistake but no one commented on it so perhaps I am ignorant to this obvious use of LIKE without some sort of wildcard. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Owen White

• fsuoj (2/14/2014)

Where is it documented that not using % assumes % at the end?

The Insert "trims" the trailing spaces from the data.

• Nice question, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• thisisfutile (2/14/2014)

fsuoj (2/14/2014)

Not quite right. Trailing spaces are not trimmed during INSERTs. They are, in fact, stored in the data in the table. The trailing spaces are simply ignored for certain functionality (such as checks for equality) but comes into play just about everywhere else. The following code demonstrates...

DECLARE @QotD TABLE ( ID INT, Name VARCHAR(10) )

INSERT INTO @QotD

SELECT 1, NULL UNION all

SELECT 2, ' AA' UNION all

SELECT 3, ' AAA' UNION all

SELECT 4, 'AAA ' UNION all

SELECT 5, 'AA '

SELECT ID

,[Len] = LEN(Name)

,[DataLength] = DATALENGTH(NAME)

,Concatenated = '|'+Name+'|'

,[Right] = RIGHT(NAME,1)

,[Replace] = REPLACE(Name,' ','X'),RIGHT(NAME,1)

FROM @QotD

;

Results...

ID Len DataLength Concatenated Right Replace

----------- ----------- ----------- ------------ ----- ------------

1 NULL NULL NULL NULL NULL

2 3 3 | AA| A XAA

3 4 4 | AAA| A XAAA

4 3 10 |AAA | AAAXXXXXXX

5 2 3 |AA | AAX

(5 row(s) affected)

This is one of the huge gotcha's when converting right padded CHAR and NCHAR to VARCHAR and NVARCHAR for the sake of reducing bytes stored.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I still do not understand the answer to my question, where is the wildcard in the question why does it assume % at the end?

Owen White

• Jeff Moden (2/16/2014)

thisisfutile (2/14/2014)

fsuoj (2/14/2014)

Not quite right. Trailing spaces are not trimmed during INSERTs. They are, in fact, stored in the data in the table. The trailing spaces are simply ignored for certain functionality (such as checks for equality) but comes into play just about everywhere else. The following code demonstrates...

Thanks for taking the time to explain Jeff.

Before I posted my response to fsuoj, I simply did a LEN check on the data and based on the query you posted I was clearly wrong for assuming that trailing spaces weren't being inserted into the database. I completely forgot about DATALENGTH and would like to say I've learned something today because of it. Sadly, I've seen this command before but completely forgot about it. :-/

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain as I was passing along wrong information.

• You never answered my question!

Owen White

• fsuoj (2/17/2014)

You never answered my question!

The reason it isn't documented as happening that that happens is that it doesn't happen.

Several people have explained what actually does happen, which doesn't include any assumed "%".

Tom

• I am not trying to be difficult but no one in this thread has answered my question. How does SQL know to look for anything trailing the AAA and not to look for leading spaces. Trailing spaces are still characters. I would never use LIKE without using a wildcard.

Owen White

• fsuoj (2/17/2014)

I am not trying to be difficult but no one in this thread has answered my question. How does SQL know to look for anything trailing the AAA and not to look for leading spaces. Trailing spaces are still characters. I would never use LIKE without using a wildcard.

When data is in char or varchar form trailing spaces are ignored in strings that are being matched against patterns. For like on char or varchar data, "@x LIKE <pattern>" implies that "@x+' ' like <pattern>" because there is this rule for char and varchar LIKE comparisons that trailing spaces are ignored.

This ignore trailing spces rule doesn't apply to unicode (nchar and nvarchar) data, only to ascii data.

This is part of the definition of the LIKE operator.

It isn't anything like introducing a "%" at the end of the pattern; doing that would mean that, for example, " 'the 'thing on the right' LIKE 'the thing' " would be true, which would be somewaht unuseful.

Tom

• I want to thank you for this clear explanation. So when using the LIKE keyword 'AAA ' is returned because trailing spaces are ignored. 'AAA 1' would not be returned because the '1' causes this to not return a result explaining what you mean by % is not assumed. This is only valid for trailing spaces using char and varchar. Now I am clearly informed. Thank you!!!!

Owen White

• fsuoj (2/17/2014)

I am not trying to be difficult but no one in this thread has answered my question. How does SQL know to look for anything trailing the AAA and not to look for leading spaces. Trailing spaces are still characters. I would never use LIKE without using a wildcard.

I use LIKE without using a wildcard all the time especially in special purpose splitters where more than one delimiter might be being checked for. For example...

WHERE t.N <= DATALENGTH(somecolumn)

AND SUBSTRING(somecolumn, t.N, 1) LIKE '[-;,.| ]'

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• thisisfutile (2/17/2014)

Jeff Moden (2/16/2014)

thisisfutile (2/14/2014)

fsuoj (2/14/2014)

Thanks for taking the time to explain Jeff.

Before I posted my response to fsuoj, I simply did a LEN check on the data and based on the query you posted I was clearly wrong for assuming that trailing spaces weren't being inserted into the database. I completely forgot about DATALENGTH and would like to say I've learned something today because of it. Sadly, I've seen this command before but completely forgot about it. :-/

Again, thanks for taking the time to explain as I was passing along wrong information.

Absolutely my pleasure. Thank you for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Easy one. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply