Leanring from Experts

• [font="Courier New"]Andy, one of the first lessons I learned in journalism is that, until you send your copy off to the typesetters, it's never to late to check your spelling:

Editorial - Leanring from Experts

[/font]

• I would love to be able to have that look-over-the-shoulder experience for DBA tasks the way you were able to watch the other roofer. I guess SQLShare videos and other SQL videos give some of that experience, but a mentor is what I really need. And not just for technical tasks but also for soft skill and other interpersonal tasks as well.

At the moment I don't even really see the equivalent of the other hypothetical DBA doing things in half the time - I just have a vague sense that there has to be a better way and that the volume and variety of different things to do are overwhelming. It would be extremely helpful to have a DBA mentor video series for things like that, in particular taking a look at a given SQL environment and DBA work process and recommending ways to do things better. You could even have someone in the role of the DBA that needs help, so the two of them can talk it out for instructive purposes. I think that would be a great series.

Thanks,

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• I pick up things all the time from observing people either online or in person. I like to test methods that they demonstrate and try to improve on them.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• William, I'll be the first to admit to my share of typo's, but I'll have to blame the title one on the editor here at SSC this time:-)

• william-700725 (7/7/2010)

[font="Courier New"]Andy, one of the first lessons I learned in journalism is that, until you send your copy off to the typesetters, it's never to late to check your spelling:

[/font]

You're right. It's never [font="Arial Black"]too [/font]late to check your spelling. šŸ˜‰

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Wedrunner, I think there is room for more mentoring, live and video. I try to keep track of the little things I learn and/or show people, try to write them someplace or conver to video. No substitute for a real live mentor though, just hard to find.

• So, Iā€™m curious, have you had a time at work where you learned a lesson about productivity or technique by watching someone, a light bulb moment?

Heh... my favorite moments are when someone new shows up with all sorts of supposed shortcuts similar to what you might find on a roofing job but in code. One person carefully measures and snaps a couple of lines as shingle guides. The other uses the lines built into the tar paper. We all know how that works out. Then there are the fellows that don't think they need to wear a safety harness on a steep roof (or difficult code) because it keeps them from being agile (ba-dump-bump :-P)... they end up staying late to fix the roof with out of line shingles, repair the gutters they tore out when they fell, and replace the bushes they crushed when they landed. šŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

william-700725 (7/7/2010)

[font="Courier New"]Andy, one of the first lessons I learned in journalism is that, until you send your copy off to the typesetters, it's never to late to check your spelling:

[/font]

You're right. It's never [font="Arial Black"]too [/font]late to check your spelling. šŸ˜‰

I hate it when I'm in two much of a hurry to follow my own advice...

• william-700725 (7/7/2010)

Jeff Moden (7/7/2010)

william-700725 (7/7/2010)

[/font]

I hate it when I'm in two much of a hurry to follow my own advice...

šŸ™‚

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• I have worked many places where I was the expert....even when I wasn't. It is a real pleasure to work with someone from whom I can look to for expert guidance. I find plenty of experts here on SSC that are willing and helpful.

• I love that you can drag the columns node into an edit session and get a comma separated list of the columns. Sure helps with not using 'select *' all the time.

Steve

• Knot sure weather two blame that on my spellin or my grammer!

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply