Launching Excel VBA from SSIS?

• "We need to gather data from two Oracle database, two SQL 2005 database, and about eight Excel workbooks into a single SQL database. This process will be scheduled to run each evening.

Many of the Excel Workbooks have macros that consolidate the data from other workbooks as well as process the data. Some of these macros use certain third party controls that are only designed for Excel and at this time can only be run in Excel.

We are attempting to build an automated processes that handles this with no (or minimum) user interaction.

"

Eric

What is your final goal with the data in one database? Will you create reports with combination of data (joins) from

different sources? May be you need to create a "small" datawarehous

I would use an approach indicated by Jef and Jim. I use Excel VBA to do everything that you want to do as you say it.

With OLE DB , ADO you can connect to remote servers and use SQL. You can loop through an Excelsheet to insert data

into a database or export the data to a TAB separated text file an then use bulk insert.

Please let us know how you will continue and I do have some code which might help you.

/Gosta

• I've just seen another thread (http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost734494.aspx) that included the following link: http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/t-sql-programming/sql-server-excel-workbench/ .

This link might help you to get your data from Excel.

Regarding the macro issue:

I don't know how complicated those macros are and if they are the same across all worksheets, but maybe rewriting the macros using T-SQL would be an option as well...

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• I think the problem here is scheduling it to run.

I've written macros within excel workbooks to grab data and format and etc but this requires the user to click on a button to execute the macro. Whereas I think what we want is to automate the process with no human interaction.

And with my problem, I also need to email the file.

I don't want to use windows task scheduler as I'll need to set it up on the server machine and was hoping SSIS could handle it instead.

Anyway I think I'll try and see if Script Task and do something about it 🙂

• It is easy to automate an Excel macro.

Put the macro (call to) in the sub "Private sub open Workbook_open"

Set securitylevel so the nacro will run without user interference.

Scedule the excelfile to run then you want it.

Sending mail from VBA. Serach for something like "mail vba excel" and you get 3 170 000 answers.

Iuse CDO take a look at http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm.

//Gosta

• Sorry for the bad timing of this reply, as you can see, I'm not a frequent flyer here, but I thought I'd clear this up for any future viewers of this thread.

It is absolutley possible to run macro's in an excel workbook from a VB task in SSIS. The examples I'm using have been done with office 2003.

I would like to say that this isn't the best way to go about this problem, it is much more

preferable to convert any macro's within the worksheet to VB.NET code run from SSIS. This is a

legacy process that I've not been allowed to change, so I've just automated it instead.

First you will need the interop assemblies for office which you can get from

here.

These must be downloaded and installed on the machine where SSIS will be run from, (note the

same machine will also need excel installed locally). The assemblies will be put into your GAC

(C:\windows\assembly\gac).

To make the exel assembly available in SSIS, you will need to copy the dll from the global

assembly cache folder which will be called something like microsoft.office.interop.excel to

C:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.50727

You will also need the VBE interop assemblies if you plan to change any of the macro's, I can't

remember if these were already available in the SSIS assemblies, but if not you will need to get

this from the GAC (Microsoft.VBE.Interop). Same procedure as above.

Restart all instances of Visual Studio and it should be ready to roll so add the two references you

installed to a script task.

You will also need to change security settings in excel by going to

"Tools->Macro->Security->Trusted Sources tab", make sure "Trust access to Visual Basic Project"

is checked.

This is the code I use to format an xls data extract. The package populates the workbook with

data, the code will then save this book to a new name, run a macro, delete the modules

containing the macro code, then runs a macro in the template to clear down for the next run.

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Math

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Dts.Runtime

Imports Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel

Imports Microsoft.Office

Public Class ScriptMain

Public Sub Main()

Dim objexcel As New Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application

objexcel.Visible = False

objexcel.UserControl = False

objexcel.DisplayAlerts = False

Dim wb As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook

Dim range As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range

Dim cell As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range

Dim ws As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet

Dim macro As Microsoft.Vbe.Interop.VBComponent

Dim vars As Variables

Dim startcell As String

Dim i As Integer

Try

/*Open workbook and assign to a workbook object. This case opens a template and saves to a new file.*/

Dim FileName As String = "c:\Pathtofile.xls"

wb = objexcel.Workbooks.Open(FileName)

wb.SaveAs("c:\PathToFile_" + DateStr() + ".xls")

ws = CType(wb.Sheets(1), Worksheet)

/*Run Macros and delete modules*/

objexcel.Run("Remove_Invalid_Dates")

macro = objexcel.VBE.VBProjects.Item(1).VBComponents.Item("Module1")

wb.VBProject.VBComponents.Remove(macro)

macro = objexcel.VBE.VBProjects.Item(1).VBComponents.Item("Module2")

wb.VBProject.VBComponents.Remove(macro)

/*Change some formatting, and add a date to a cell*/

range = CType(ws.Range("C2"), Range)

range.Value = Left(Now.ToString, 10)

range = CType(ws.Range("C3"), Range)

range.Value = Left(DateAdd(DateInterval.Day, -7, Now).ToString, 10) + " - " + Left(DateAdd(DateInterval.Day, -1, Now).ToString, 10)

wb.Save()

/*Open template file and clear down with a macro saved in the worksheet.*/

wb = objexcel.Workbooks.Open(FileName)

objexcel.Run("Clear_sheet")

Catch ex As Exception

MsgBox(ex.Message)

close_excel(range, ws, wb, objexcel)

Throw

End Try

close_excel(range, ws, wb, objexcel) 'Sub to dispose the excel objects

Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success

End Sub

The close_excel sub routine looks something like this:

Private Sub close_excel(ByVal range As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Range, ByVal sheet As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet, ByVal obook As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook, ByVal oExcel As Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application)

/*Clean-up: Save and close excel interop objects and quit.*/

If range IsNot Nothing Then

System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(range)

range = Nothing

End If

If sheet IsNot Nothing Then

System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(sheet)

sheet = Nothing

End If

If obook IsNot Nothing Then

obook.Save()

obook.Close(False)

System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(obook)

obook = Nothing

End If

If oExcel IsNot Nothing Then

oExcel.Quit()

System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oExcel)

oExcel = Nothing

End If

System.GC.Collect()

End Sub

The code's a bit rough and ready, and I'm sure some people will see ways to improve it, however this should work for you.

I hope this infromation is helpful for someone.

• Here is a simple way to run a excel macro in a SSIS package using ActiveX Script task but will only work on SQl server 2005 (ActiveX script is not supported in 2008)

Change path

Make sure your macroName is the macroname of the macro in the workbook

On the activeX module click script and EntryMethod must equal function name here it is "Main"

Function Main()

dim ExcelObject

dim MacroName

const InPath = "\\computername\directory\directory\Dashboard_LD.xls"

MacroName = "ClearSheet"

Set ExcelObject=Createobject("Excel.application")

ExcelObject.Workbooks.Open InPath

ExcelObject.Run (MacroName)

ExcelObject.Workbooks(1).Save

ExcelObject.Workbooks(1).Close

ExcelObject.Application.Quit

Set ExcelObject=nothing

'Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

• Hey,

I have recently implemented a similar SSIS package and have found out a very easy and effective way of running the VBA code from SSIS.

You can certainly built on .Net stuff but thats not my area of expertise so I can comment on what you were doing above.

My approach:

1. take a execute command task and point it to Open the excel workbook which has your VBA code.

2. call the VBA function that has your code in the workbook open event.

3. as soon as you execute the task it will open the excel file and your code will automatically get executed.

Hope this Help.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply