last day of the month

• How do you get last day of the month.

Also how do I search this forum for something like this... I could not find search.

Thanks

Sonali

• Note: I only do the convert at the end in case you are submitting a value with Date and time.

SELECT DATEADD(mm,1,DATEADD(d,-DATEPART(dd,'1/5/2002'), CONVERT(VARCHAR,'1/5/2002',101)))

As far as search, not 100% sure you would find what you want unless you look DATEADD AND last AND day as the criteria. Or DATEADD and dig thru the results.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• thanks

• the above solution would work if the date format is mdy. If the date format is the default dateformat of SQL Server then the above script would fail.

Russel Joseph

Russel Joseph

• The above script does only return the last day of the year! I think u require the last day of the month for anyt given month.

Here lies the solotion !!! 🙂

declare @currdate as datetime,

@currmonth as int ,

@nextmonth as int,

@firstday as datetime,

@firstdaynextmonth as datetime,

@lastdayofmonth as int,

@requiredate as datetime

select @currdate = getdate()

select 'Current date: ' + convert(varchar, @currdate)

select @currmonth = datepart(mm, @currdate)

select 'Current Month: ' + convert(varchar, @currmonth)

select @nextmonth = @currmonth + 1

select @firstday = convert(datetime, (convert(varchar, @currmonth) + '/1/' + convert(varchar, datepart(yyyy, @currdate))))

select 'First of this month: ' + convert(varchar, @firstday )

select @firstdaynextmonth = convert(datetime, (convert(varchar, @nextmonth) + '/1/' + convert(varchar, datepart(yyyy, @currdate))))

select 'First of next month: ' + convert(varchar, @firstdaynextmonth )

select @lastdayofmonth= datediff(dd, @firstday, @firstdaynextmonth)

select @requiredate = convert(datetime, (convert(varchar, @currmonth) + '/' + convert(varchar, @lastdayofmonth ) + '/' + convert(varchar, datepart(yyyy, @currdate))))

select @requiredate

This is the basic script, adapt reduce the code,

Cheers,

Russel Joseph

Russel Joseph

• Sorry did find the mistake as I set the value to the last day of the previous month and like Feb = 28 will then rolles 3/28 for march as last this is correct.

SELECT DATEADD(dd,-1,DATEADD(mm,1,DATEADD(d,-DATEPART(dd,GETDATE()) + 1, CONVERT(VARCHAR,GETDATE(),101))))

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• its simple... find the first day of the next month and subtract a day from it. You will get the last day of that month. To find the day, use datepart.

Paras Shah

Evision Technologies

Mumbai, India

Paras Shah
    Evision Technologies
    Mumbai, India

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply