Kitchen Duty

• I don't mind pitching in as part of a team effort for keeping things generally clean around the work place. However, when you consider the hourly cost of a group of IT professionals wiping down countertops and cleaning sinks compared to a cleaning crew, it would seem more cost effective to leave the IT team to doing IT and pay the cleaning crew to clean. But every place is different. I have worked in very large corporations and much smaller ones and the medium sized one I am in now expects everyone in IT to take their office trash cans out to the dumpster every week and empty them themselves. So that is what I do, when in Rome, after all...

• Gary Varga (6/16/2014)

It's just like rounds at the bar: it is great when you don't bother count as some days you are surprised how little money you have left in your wallet and other days surprised by how much. The best teams that I have worked with know who needs a break, who needs to stay at the keyboard, who has got the slack and it is the mature and friendly team that act accordingly.

I find that brewing politics only reflects team politics anyway :unsure:

The main difference between tea and coffee rounds and rounds at the bar is that after a certain amount of tea I don't feel the urge to brew up for everybody I'm talking to, throw pound after pound into dubious machines with flashing lights on them then buy a kebab on the way home ๐Ÿ˜€

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• It appears that there is almost a general consensus: if you accept drinks you should return the favour, if you do not then you are self-reliant and excluding oneself. Either one is in or one is out.

Neither of these options is problematic to me.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I must admit consider it a bad character flaw if people don't take their round at the bar.

Its a matter of pride and honour as much as anything else.

• BWFC (6/16/2014)

Gary Varga (6/16/2014)

It's just like rounds at the bar: it is great when you don't bother count as some days you are surprised how little money you have left in your wallet and other days surprised by how much. The best teams that I have worked with know who needs a break, who needs to stay at the keyboard, who has got the slack and it is the mature and friendly team that act accordingly.

The main difference between tea and coffee rounds and rounds at the bar is that after a certain amount of tea I don't feel the urge to brew up for everybody I'm talking to, throw pound after pound into dubious machines with flashing lights on them then buy a kebab on the way home ๐Ÿ˜€

I was with you until the kebab...I'm the one who says to his mates that he is going around the corner to get a dubious burger instead ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gaz

• BWFC (6/16/2014)

Gary Varga (6/16/2014)

+1

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Dalkeith (6/16/2014)

I must admit consider it a bad character flaw if people don't take their round at the bar.

Meh. Rounds are so arbitrary. Usually when I am up suddenly everybody orders $10 cocktails...

The guys buying the last round is also better off as most likely people have already left.

Or what if I just went to the pub with the idea of drinking 2 beers, and suddenly I have to buy a round for 10 persons (I usually don't carry around a lot of cash).

I'd rather have that everyone contributes a fixed amount and that drinks are bought from this "money pool" during the evening.

• Dalkeith (6/16/2014)

I must admit consider it a bad character flaw if people don't take their round at the bar.

Too true. Poor form otherwise.

I was at a pub in a multi-generational, multi-gender impromptu family gathering (one of those stranger than fiction moments when people turn up in a place you would never expect any of them to and you've never been there before yourself!!!) and the elderly statesman of the group ensured that someone went up to the bar on his behalf although as he would have struggled to perform the duty himself. He had everyone else trying to buy the rounds but he insisted. I have had my Mother-in-law do exactly the same, albeit silently, as for her and many of her generation it would be unseemly to go and buy the drinks.

In my experience people are not really bothered about who does how much except for despising the complete shirkers be it someone who never buys a drink or a colleague who never does their share in the kitchen area at work.

Gaz

• I'd rather have that everyone contributes a fixed amount and that drinks are bought from this "money pool" during the evening.

That's a great idea if there's a big group of you. Another plan that works well is 'fighting pairs', you and a buddy buy the drinks for each other. It stops the huge round problem and prevents people taking p!$$ with the money pot.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's likely that the same type of people don't brew up, won't buy the drinks when it's their turn and leave the kitchen in rag order.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    โ€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Koen Verbeeck (6/16/2014)

Dalkeith (6/16/2014)

Meh. Rounds are so arbitrary. Usually when I am up suddenly everybody orders $10 cocktails...

The guys buying the last round is also better off as most likely people have already left.

Or what if I just went to the pub with the idea of drinking 2 beers, and suddenly I have to buy a round for 10 persons (I usually don't carry around a lot of cash).

I'd rather have that everyone contributes a fixed amount and that drinks are bought from this "money pool" during the evening.

I don't think people mind the details. People just hate the takers...oh and mine's a Tequilla Sunrise thanks Koen :Whistling:

Gaz

• BWFC (6/16/2014)

The more I think about it, the more I think it's likely that the same type of people don't brew up, won't buy the drinks when it's their turn and leave the kitchen in rag order.

I believe it to be true.

Gaz

• BWFC (6/16/2014)

That's a great idea if there's a big group of you. Another plan that works well is 'fighting pairs', you and a buddy buy the drinks for each other. It stops the huge round problem and prevents people taking p!$$ with the money pot.

I like the idea of fighting pairs.

• Wow, I'm amazed at all the folks that have dishwashers at work. The only time I've ever had one was when I was working from home full-time.

My current job has a cleaning crew that keeps everything neat and clean and brews the coffee, I think, as I've never seen anyone else doing it. The key is that everyone I currently work with does a pretty good job of keeping things clean.

I'd agree with the sentiment that most people don't have a problem with helping keep the kitchen clean as long as everyone does their part. It is the people who are too lazy or self-important to clean up after themselves that drive us all crazy and keep some others from doing their part.

• I do think the rules change a bit for numbers over three or four as its probably not good to have four or more drinks. But for two people they should really be taking turns to buy drinks.

• Gary Varga (6/16/2014)

It appears that there is almost a general consensus: if you accept drinks you should return the favour, if you do not then you are self-reliant and excluding oneself. Either one is in or one is out.

Neither of these options is problematic to me.

Yep, agreed.

I was kind of amazed by dishwashers at work; I've been used to having to take my own mug in, and wash it myself by hand, no less :-D.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply