Keeping Things Running

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Keeping Things Running

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Speaking of volunteers, the Ohio North SQL Saturday (formally SQL Saturday Cleveland) by the Ohio North Data Training group (formally, a PASS group that continues because of people like Grant talked about) is going to happen on the 20th of May in Akron, Ohio.  Ed Wagner and I live pretty close to each other and both of us have had a session selected and so we're driving down together, which will be a pleasure because he's also my best friend and a fellow DBA (in fact, I held a "gun" to his head until he gave his first "Lightning Round" and the next presentation for him was an all day pre-con with me that I talked him into... and he did an incredible job 😉 ).

Neither of us is sponsored or compensated in any manner.  We're doing it (as we have many times before) for much the same reason that Grant attended the Green Country Hamfest that he wrote about.

Shifting gears a bit, if you're interested in attending, go to the following EventBrite URL.  They've only just recently closed the "Call for Speakers" and so they don't have a session schedule yet, but that'll be out soon, I'm sure.   If you want, you can sign up for an on-site box lunch for $16.

The cost to attend the event is zero dollars but you must register to attend.  They also have an "extra" event (register on the same EventBrite as the SQL Saturday event) where Eugene Meidinger will provide a 3 hour tutorial session called "Power BI Quickstart".  There IS a $90 fee for that but the 3 hour session is a fantastic introduction to Power BI.

Here's the EventBrite link to register.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ohio-north-sql-saturday-2023-tickets-576379305017

And, just in case you're interested, here's the abstract for my session.  Don't let the "Intermediate" rating scare you if you don't believe you're at an intermediate level... the purpose is to provide a "step" to help you get there and see "possibilities".

Cross Tabs and Pivots - Reporting on Steroids

by Jeff Moden

Another title for this session might be "Converting Rows to Columns" or "How to turn data into information".

Whether you're a Data Analyst, Report Creator, Developer, or DBA, this is an essential skill that you'll need to do in the future if you haven't had to already. Here's what we'll learn:

Main Goal:

How to convert rows to columns to make a pivoted result, sometimes referred to as a "Cross Tab" and do it in a nasty fast manner using the "Cross Tab" and "Pivot" methods.

Ancillary Learning:

1. Introduction to building large volumes of random constrained data to test with.

2. Introduction to "Minimal Logging" to build the test data even faster and without ticking off the DBA.

3. Introduction to "Pre-Aggregation" as a simple first step towards increasing performance.

4. Introduction to "Divide'n'Conquer" methods for more performance.

5. Seemingly "Duplicate Indexes" for insane performance.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply