Jérôme Kerviel

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Jérôme Kerviel

• Hands down for me, the feature they should have spent much more time on is the OVER clause especially when it comes to aggregates. Current version cannot be made to do running totals and the like where the version in Oracle can.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I think it would be huge amount of help to see them take on the whole issue of "remembered sets", and logically ordered sets (yes - there IS such a concept - just not implemented or adequately implemented in our current products).

With all of the smarts the compiler has - there's really no justification for it not being able to pick up (at least some of the time) that it's already done most of the work already on a previous record, and no sense in redoing it.

The ability to use ordered versus vs. unordered sets would vastly simplify some of the stuff we have to do these days.

Finally - on a much "smaller" scale (maybe) - there were a lot of features put into 2005 which made the WRITING of certain queries much prettier, but whose performance is so mediocre that you can't seem to justify ever switching over to the new syntax. Just getting those to actually ACT optimized, would be phenomenal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Allowing both VB.NET and C# for SSIS scripting.

• lets have one from the admin viewpoint - how about the maintenance plans. More flexible but just not as intuitive as in 2000. Nothing like those jaw dropping moments when you realise the plan has deleted backups for all your databases not just the database the plan is for, or has deleted eveything older than 2 hours rather than 2 days!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• How about three - take your pick

1. How about the two most useless thing ever invented Broker services and Notification services. I even spend several $K in training at a "Gold Member" training facility and All I got was a 'Salty', I don't know.

2. Maintenance plans and their amazing camouflage act.

3. How about this 'bewdy'. No linked server between 64 Bit and 32 Bit. You can make 'em, TSQL complies against it but try running a simple select * from a 32BIT.Database.dbo.view initiated from a 64Bit server. Yes there is a real nasty work around using OPENROWSET - BLAHHH !!!!

Should they try again ? too right !!

CodeOn 😛

• You guys have quoted supposition to make it sound like root cause.

By quoting this in the databaseweekly email:

"'Every DBMS in the world has these tools for database administrators. I would guess that Kerviel stacked up a number of fake identities, added these to the database, and used passwords and log-ins to hack into the SocGen server to cover his tracks."

without:

'He could have hacked into the system in a number of ways....'

It's just an example.

And an anonymous source too.

• SQL Server Management Studio

sp2 makes thing a bit better...

• SP2 will make the life better no doubt but if microsoft release SP3 it would have been smooth. Guys go to connect and vote for SP3

🙂

Anirban

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply