Jonathan Kehayias: SQL Hero!

• At the PASS 08 Keynot this morning, they announced the winners of the "SQL Heroes Happen Here" contest, and Jonathan Kehayias, frequently found in SQLServerCentral's CLR forum was one of the winners for his ExtendedEventsManager application, available at codePlex.

Congratulations, Jonathan! I just heard this morning that your app tied for second place in the "SQL Heroes" contest with 45 out of 55 possible points.

Way to go!

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Very nicely done indeed! Congrats Jonathan!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• GilaMonster pointed this post out to me at the end of a session we were sitting it at PASS. Now she is teaching her session called "The Dirty Dozen", which is focused on how to write badly performing code which I have always wondered how to do. 😀

She actually has a packed room right now.

Anyway.... Thanks for the recognition, I don't consider myself a hero by far, at least not for writing a SQL extension UI. I actually have to give thanks to Bob Beauchemin for answering all my questions and testing the application out initially and providing feedback on it. Kevin Kline also deserves a round of thanks for his feedback along the development cycle as well.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Jonathan Kehayias (11/21/2008)

how to write badly performing code which I have always wondered how to do. 😀

😛

Congrats on the award. I intend to take the app for a test run as soon as I get home.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Congratulations and very well done. That looked like serioulsy tough competition.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Jonathan Kehayias (11/21/2008)

GilaMonster pointed this post out to me at the end of a session we were sitting it at PASS. Now she is teaching her session called "The Dirty Dozen", which is focused on how to write badly performing code which I have always wondered how to do. 😀

She actually has a packed room right now.

You were there too? Rats! If I had know that I would have tried to find you...

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Since we're into contratulating everyone - Barry, I GOT to say - love the new Avi pic! It reminds me of a skit by Eddie Izzard, called Jeff Vader...:) Catch it on Youtube some time!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Congratulations Jonathan.

Barry, I didn't know you had gone to PASS too, next year I've gotta get out to it.

In case you all didn't know Grant Fritchey said that Gail's session was the best session of the week, so I guess he need to learn how to write bad code too! Glad it was packed out Gail.

• Congrats!

• rbarryyoung (11/22/2008)

You were there too? Rats! If I had know that I would have tried to find you...

Jonathan was the one who commented about Linq.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Jack Corbett (11/22/2008)

Glad it was packed out Gail.

It wasn't completely packed out. There were empty seats. I'd say the room was 50-60% full. Bob Ward's session in the same room the day before was packed. There were people (myself included) sitting at his feet.

(not quite literally)

Gail Shaw

• Matt Miller (11/22/2008)

Since we're into contratulating everyone - Barry, I GOT to say - love the new Avi pic! It reminds me of a skit by Eddie Izzard, called Jeff Vader...:) Catch it on Youtube some time!

Heh, Thanks, Matt. And here I was just getting ready to change it back, since I am home from PASS now. Guess I'll leave it up another day for you ... 🙂

[/font]

• GilaMonster (11/22/2008)

It wasn't completely packed out. There were empty seats. I'd say the room was 50-60% full. Bob Ward's session in the same room the day before was packed. There were people (myself included) sitting at his feet.

(not quite literally)

I personally think the location of that room was horrible. I almost opted against making the walk across Seattle (ok it was just one level down and at the farthest end of WSCC from everything else, still a 5 minute walk it seemed) but I wanted to see your session. After your session, I opted to just stay for whatever followed rather than make the walk back across the convention center.

Still having trouble writing non-performant code, but I am such a bad student. :w00t:

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• I sure hope this presentation of writing bad code will find its way on the newsletter someday... I'd sure love to read that!

• Ninja's_RGR'us (11/22/2008)

I sure hope this presentation of writing bad code will find its way on the newsletter someday... I'd sure love to read that!

I'll check with the PASS people. If they don't have a problem, I'll put the ppt on my blog and write up an explanation of each point.

You can go to the PASS site and buy the DVD of the conference. It will contain the pdfs and a video of each presentation (presenter's desktop and audio)

Not sure how much will cost.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply