Job wasn't as described

• From the sounds of it, there's senior level work in the organization, you just have to position yourself to be the one doing it. I've had these kinds of issues in the past, watching the boss hand plum assignments to people with demonstrably less knowledge and skill. You just have to work with them all to ensure the business gets what it needs. Eventually, if you are the more senior person, you'll get more and more of the senior level work because everyone will be coming to you for it. But, as has already been pointed out, you'll need to be very cautious about not trodding too heavily on everyone's toes while you do this.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks for the advice.

I agree, being careful will be very important. I spoke to one of the more experienced members this week and we discussed our background and he said he had no idea my experience level because the manager never told anyone.

Sounds like this could be an interesting group to navigate in.

Of course my old job is pinging me to see if I want to come back, so that's not helping my thought process.

Thanks

• Never go back to the old job. All the reasons you left are still there. It's the same arguments for never taking a counter-offer. If all you needed was more money, that can be negotiated. But if you weren't being challenged, or the working conditions were awful, or there were bad people, bad management, sketchy processes, bad feedback loops, all the stuff you hated, it's still there.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (6/23/2014)

Never go back to the old job. All the reasons you left are still there. It's the same arguments for never taking a counter-offer. If all you needed was more money, that can be negotiated. But if you weren't being challenged, or the working conditions were awful, or there were bad people, bad management, sketchy processes, bad feedback loops, all the stuff you hated, it's still there.

Agreed, I really only took this new one for the money and more opportunties for career advancement (vs. the flat structure I was in)

• Spoke to my manager this morning.

He wants my primary role to be process improvement and creation. I've done it (successfully) in the past, but that wasn't the job description.

I mentioned how I wanted to ensure I am still challenged on a technical level, but mostly was told I could work with other team members to determine the technologies they want us to use.

Not exactly what I signed up for, and the primary role is something I am not passionate about.

🙁

• Chord77 (6/27/2014)

Spoke to my manager this morning.

He wants my primary role to be process improvement and creation. I've done it (successfully) in the past, but that wasn't the job description.

I mentioned how I wanted to ensure I am still challenged on a technical level, but mostly was told I could work with other team members to determine the technologies they want us to use.

Not exactly what I signed up for, and the primary role is something I am not passionate about.

🙁

That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (6/27/2014)

Chord77 (6/27/2014)

Spoke to my manager this morning.

🙁

That sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Thanks. After I described to my non-techy father in law the meeting with my manager my father in law's reply was "That sounds boring" lol

• Update:

After a couple of 1 on 1's with my manager he explained to me the role on the team he wants me doing. He wants me to primarily focus on process improvement/creation (and LEAN-ing) as well as documentation improvement and strategy. With only a minor little bit focused on technical.

All because a couple of years ago at a previous job I was trained in Six Sigma, ITIL, Project Management etc. (which the lack of technical work drove me to find somewhere else to work)

I kind of feel back in that position again. Sigh

• Oh no, I'm sorry. It sounds as though they mis-sold the job to you. Will you look to move on again?

• Beatrix Kiddo (7/7/2014)

Oh no, I'm sorry. It sounds as though they mis-sold the job to you. Will you look to move on again?

Not sure. I bumped into my old boss at happy hour last week and he was prety much like please come back. They are really nice people.

But this new company I am at is a large IT employer in the area, leaving so soon will probably burn that bridge. But being unhappy and stuck doing visio flow charts yet again for at least a year or two ....I dunno.

• If you did consider going back you would be in a strong position to negotiate on salary, working hours, training budget before agreeing to anything, I suppose. Plus if you haven't been away from there very long, maybe you could continue to have continuity of service etc. which is important in some places (I'm not sure where you're based, but in the UK it is helpful for employment rights etc.)

Does your new boss know that you're unhappy and that it's not what you expected?

• Beatrix Kiddo (7/7/2014)

If you did consider going back you would be in a strong position to negotiate on salary, working hours, training budget before agreeing to anything, I suppose. Plus if you haven't been away from there very long, maybe you could continue to have continuity of service etc. which is important in some places (I'm not sure where you're based, but in the UK it is helpful for employment rights etc.)

Does your new boss know that you're unhappy and that it's not what you expected?

Yeah I should get more money and would keep my continuity of service.

During the meetings with my current manager I said I really want to ensure I am challenged from a technical level, and he just kept saying that in my role I would be involved in meetings that are technical. (which is Big Corp speak for you'll get to hear about it)

• Ugh, that sucks. Sorry. Let us know how you get on.

• You are absolutely in a tough spot. But if you want to be technical, you don't have many choices.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (7/7/2014)

You are absolutely in a tough spot. But if you want to be technical, you don't have many choices.

Yeah, I mean I've been succuessful at Process improvement, etc at a Fortune 100 company, but its nothing I'm passionate about.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply