Job Interviews: What is Normalization?

• xsevensinzx - Friday, January 12, 2018 9:52 AM

call.copse - Friday, January 12, 2018 2:40 AM

Hmm, I have known the formal definitions and not too long ago, I think I know all the elements and I certainly know what to actually do, however I couldn't define the forms without looking them up. Not worth actually doing until an interview as I'd forget it anyway IMO!

Similar here. There is a lot of mundane stuff out there you just can't speak to in terms of correct and technical definitions. Doesn't mean you can't do it or understand it. 

For example, I played guitar for 10 years, still can't read sheet music. I still don't hold the neck right compared to what a guitar teacher showed me. I still can't name all the notes, but I still play very complex music.

But there are certain things too, like point-in-time recovery. If you're working with a mission critical system, the time your wasting to look it up, some doctor may not be able to access critical information to save a patience life versus the senior DBA who actually knows his stuff is midway through the recovery while you are still on Google reading some SQLServerCentral.com post from 2014 that Jeff Moden made. :crazy:

Actually I've only read up to Jeff's 2011 but I get your point.
    I'd explain it to the interviewer like we were both 5:
    When you are dating someone in hot demand, you have to be around her all the time, like putting you name all over her to keep away jerks in the bar.
    Then you get married - the relationship established. You no longer need to be around 24x7. In fact you may crave a bit of alone time. That's what we call Normalization. So tell me again please the part about 4-week paid vacation in the compensation package...

• RandomStream - Friday, January 12, 2018 5:24 PM

xsevensinzx - Friday, January 12, 2018 9:52 AM

call.copse - Friday, January 12, 2018 2:40 AM

Hmm, I have known the formal definitions and not too long ago, I think I know all the elements and I certainly know what to actually do, however I couldn't define the forms without looking them up. Not worth actually doing until an interview as I'd forget it anyway IMO!

Similar here. There is a lot of mundane stuff out there you just can't speak to in terms of correct and technical definitions. Doesn't mean you can't do it or understand it. 

For example, I played guitar for 10 years, still can't read sheet music. I still don't hold the neck right compared to what a guitar teacher showed me. I still can't name all the notes, but I still play very complex music.

But there are certain things too, like point-in-time recovery. If you're working with a mission critical system, the time your wasting to look it up, some doctor may not be able to access critical information to save a patience life versus the senior DBA who actually knows his stuff is midway through the recovery while you are still on Google reading some SQLServerCentral.com post from 2014 that Jeff Moden made. :crazy:

Actually I've only read up to Jeff's 2011 but I get your point.
    I'd explain it to the interviewer like we were both 5:
    When you are dating someone in hot demand, you have to be around her all the time, like putting you name all over her to keep away jerks in the bar.
    Then you get married - the relationship established. You no longer need to be around 24x7. In fact you may crave a bit of alone time. That's what we call Normalization. So tell me again please the part about 4-week paid vacation in the compensation package...

If you were to malign red-blooded men who are simply acting upon our most natural of instincts as 'jerks' at interview, well I hope your tech skills are top-notch, if not you can expect a 'No thanks' email via the recruiter from me.

• If someone were to ask me what normalization is during a job interview, that would be one of the mental check-boxes that I'd check of for reasons why I might want to work at that company. 😀  Like most folks, I couldn't give you a precise example of every form of normalization but I would point them to a great example of how not to do it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization

After they get done explaining that many books could be named the same and that the ISBN is king, ask yourself where in the world is the ISBN after that explanation.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply